Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weird

hirdar01

Just had the school kids at Ploegsteet Wood as the last part of a battlefileds tour. We were laying the wreath at about 7:00pm when the lights from the bar opposite lit up and cast a shadow of four of our boys across the grassed area in the middle; like the four mourning soliders at Langemarck. I was reading "Menin Gate" (Anon) to them at the time and it was a very very weird moment.

Also, I noticed that the personalised plaque that had been placed over the Hellfire Corner marker stone had been removed. Anybody got any further details about this?

Cheers

Tony

It must have been gone for a couple of years now, there were some threads on it a while back. I'll try to put the hyperloinks in if I can find them. I took a picture of it in May 2002, and I believe it was removed a few months after.

Alan

try this one ..

hellfire corner thread

I think there are others, but my four year old wants me to help him balance on an enormous inflatable globe of the world now, which is clearly much more important!

Cheers

Alan

If you want a weird experience, try walking to the cemetery from Prowse Point and through the wood by yourself. I did and I had the most awful feeling of impending danger, as if your own life were about to end. I haven't had a feeling like that since I visited Mametz Wood by myself. Very Strange.

PAUL J :ph34r: