Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

V. A. D. badge...can it be roughly dated?

phil1963

This badge came with a metal Charing Cross Hospital medal and I'm wondering if this cloth VAD badge can be dated?

Both badges were the property of Constance I. Jones, although there are a few by this name on Freebmd.org

Any information about it will be welcome.

IMG_20221027_083725.jpg

Thanks, that's an interesting start.

The Charing Cross Hospital medals were issued to staff who completed their training there between c1900-1973, but regrettably although the medals have the nurses name on the back, they are not dated. 

The wheel and wings motif is quite interesting but I have no idea what it denotes I am afraid

• Admin
3 hours ago, phil1963 said:

Thanks, that's an interesting start.

The Charing Cross Hospital medals were issued to staff who completed their training there between c1900-1973, but regrettably although the medals have the nurses name on the back, they are not dated. 

My hospital badge only has my name, no date. Probably fairly standard. 

3 hours ago, phil1963 said:

Any idea what the wings on the top side denote??

Mobile unit? Motorcycle unit? This is a WW2 Motorcycle Corps (MC) badge, not an exact match because it lacks the Red Cross/St John emblems in the hub: click here.

The only Constance I Jones that I can find with a WWI VAD connection seems to be Constance Irene Jones. I believe that she is the person born 1893 Dawley, Shropshire (not Dawley Middlesex as VAD card transcript). But she wasn't nursing in 1911 census (High St, Dawley) nor in 1939 (married, surname Page) so some uncertainty.

Findmypast have this record transcription. The Red cross VAD database is currently down. 

First name(s) Constance

Last name Jones

Year 1916

Birth year -

Rank Nursing Sister

Address High St Dawley.

County Middlesex

County as transcribed Salop

Country England

Service from 00/11/1916

Service to 00/11/1918

Engagement date 26/11/1916

Pay at engagement None

Termination date 00/11/1918

Rank at termination Nursing Sister

Pay at termination None

Hospital Wellington College, Shropshire

Hours worked Part time . 562 hours

Commission Salop

Duties Any Duty required at the Aux Hospital Holyhead Rd Wellington. Salop

Previous engagement -

Honours awarded -

Addtional information Wellington Infirmary SHROPSHIRE (stamped) VOLUNTARY AID

Archive British Red Cross

Source View the Source Record

Record set British Army, British Red Cross Society Volunteers 1914-1918.

---------+++++++--

Nothing in this indicates a mobile badge entitlement?

Edited by charlie962

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Nothing in this indicates a mobile badge entitlement?

I agree; I must admit to threshing around for an answer based on the similarity of the winged wheel...

sJ

I've googled it but have found no clues.

A medal collecting friend suggested that as there is no crown on the badge it may not be a UK badge.

I'm perplexed!

15 minutes ago, seaJane said:

must admit to threshing around for an answer based on the similarity of the winged wheel...

Could be an ambulance driver?

Looking at the Royal College of Nursing Registers 1898-1968 on ancestry this is the only Constance I. Jones listed

General Section 1946

1064708607_ScreenShot2022-10-30at20_11_04.png.58589abd4380b6ddbc52a9d482655e6e.png

Fever Nurse Section 1946

1180717181_ScreenShot2022-10-30at20_14_16.png.b6823ed5e27747b00ea9be559cdb06a1.png

She appears as Constance Ivy JONES in the 1934 edition with an address of 44 Chesterfield Road, Leyton E10.

In the 1939 Register resident at Queen Mary's Hospital for Children, Carshalton is George GOUGE born 1889, a Hospital Engineer in Charge & his inferred wife Constance I GOUGE born 21.12.1905, unpaid domestic Duties.

In Essex SW Reg Dist in 1936 the marriage of Constance Ivy JONES & George GOUGE is registered.

George passes away 1946 at St Hellier Hospital, Carshalton (on same site as Queen Mary's) & Constance Ivy GOUGE (bn 21.12.1905) passes away in Sutton, Surrey in 1992.

Hope this is helpful for the location you aquired the badges in.

Travers

Edited by travers61

I should add that I did look at the nurses with Constance as a first name but no middle name, but none of them qualified at Charing Cross.

Pleased the info is useful.

Travers