Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Personal Accounts of RAF Ops Near Cambrai, Sep-Nov 1918?

Buffnut453

Are there any good first-hand accounts of RAF operations near Cambrai during the 100 Days offensive in 1918?  I'm trying to get a sense of the daily tempo of operations was like, and the types of operations flown. 

I've read accounts during Operation Michael in Mar-Apr 1918 which stress low-level attacks and the ever-present attentions of "archie" as aircraft crossed the front line.  I'm wondering if the combat experience of crews in Sep-Nov 1918 was similar, or was the environment different as the German army retreated.  For example, were operations at a higher/lower tempo than previously, and was AAA as common when the front line ceased to be static?

Any pointers or ideas would be very much appreciated.

3 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Are there any good first-hand accounts of RAF operations near Cambrai during the 100 Days offensive in 1918?  I'm trying to get a sense of the daily tempo of operations was like, and the types of operations flown. 

I've read accounts during Operation Michael in Mar-Apr 1918 which stress low-level attacks and the ever-present attentions of "archie" as aircraft crossed the front line.  I'm wondering if the combat experience of crews in Sep-Nov 1918 was similar, or was the environment different as the German army retreated.  For example, were operations at a higher/lower tempo than previously, and was AAA as common when the front line ceased to be static?

Any pointers or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Hi

The overall statistics show the RAF putting in a lot of operational flying hours during the period while keeping fairly good serviceability, Appendix A in 'The Bridge to Airpower' by Peter Dye illuminates this:

WW2rafmaint021.jpg.ae2c0fa45c3e6cfdf55cd820660b9d39.jpg

Trevor Henshaw's 'TSTB II' Appendix 3 has cause of casualty to aircraft for Sept 18 as 39 to ground fire and 44 to AA, Oct as 33 and 35, and Nov as 11 and 8.  The RAF operations are hampered more by the weather than the enemy much of the time.  Of course looking at the main text of Trevor's book may give an indication of what squadrons to look at and to see if there are any memoirs relating to them.  'Combat Report' by Bill Lambert comes to mind in relation to SE.5As on bombing and strafing during 1918.  Louis Strange in 'Recollections of an Airman' mentions some larger scale missions of several squadrons against airfields.

Mike

23 hours ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

The overall statistics show the RAF putting in a lot of operational flying hours during the period while keeping fairly good serviceability, Appendix A in 'The Bridge to Airpower' by Peter Dye illuminates this:

WW2rafmaint021.jpg.ae2c0fa45c3e6cfdf55cd820660b9d39.jpg

Trevor Henshaw's 'TSTB II' Appendix 3 has cause of casualty to aircraft for Sept 18 as 39 to ground fire and 44 to AA, Oct as 33 and 35, and Nov as 11 and 8.  The RAF operations are hampered more by the weather than the enemy much of the time.  Of course looking at the main text of Trevor's book may give an indication of what squadrons to look at and to see if there are any memoirs relating to them.  'Combat Report' by Bill Lambert comes to mind in relation to SE.5As on bombing and strafing during 1918.  Louis Strange in 'Recollections of an Airman' mentions some larger scale missions of several squadrons against airfields.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the info and insights.  I'll have to look for "Combat Report" and see if it has any useful info.  I have Strange's book around here somewhere, so I'll have to dig it out and see if there are any operational details.  

Kind regards,
Mark

10 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the info and insights.  I'll have to look for "Combat Report" and see if it has any useful info.  I have Strange's book around here somewhere, so I'll have to dig it out and see if there are any operational details.  

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi

A TNA document from September 1918 that may be of interest:

WW1acdpec010.jpg.06f72cdbd5149178a61cf92e1d77e9f6.jpg

WW1acdpec011.jpg.0477d55550351293c0b6e31157b1ffc8.jpg

Mike

I'm going to take "Any pointers or ideas" pretty literally:  don't know whether this will actually help you or not.  But a number of British-trained American pilots were involved in operations near Cambrai during the Hundred Days Offensive---a lot of them attached to the U.S. 17th Aero or the U.S. 148th Aero.  But some with RAF squadrons:  20, 22, 40.

If you go to parr-hooper.cmsmcq.com/2OD/  and type "Cambrai" in the search box at the bottom of the page, you will be directed to biogaphies of about 20 of these men.  From there you can go to individual pages and search for "Cambrai" to see whether their experiences (some with first hand accounts) are of interest.  

best,

---Marian 

On 27/10/2022 at 21:05, Buffnut453 said:

Hi Mike,

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi

Also the later chapters in Alex Revell's 'High in the Empty Blue' (56 Sqn) and Grinnell-Milne's 'Wind in the Wires' that covers some of the same ground as the former.

Mike