Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

277th Rly Coy Royal Engineers

busterwood

Researching my Maternal side of family.

Found a family member who had service  with "C" Coy. Railway Operating Div 277th R.E

Found a reference he was wounded in action, later dying 28/06/17 & buried Poperinghe.

My question is, working on railway building erecting etc, any ideas how he may have been wounded?

There are four others listed on CWGC website killed on the same day. All serving with 277th Railway Coy. Three of which look like they share the same grave plot? Top names shown on image

Any help would be fantastic 

Thanks Geoff

21A06226-44D3-47FE-BCF5-3AEB254234F0.jpeg

Thanks Gents, 

something catastrophic happened that day, whether it was energy shelling or a munitions accident 🤷🏻‍♂️
I have looked through the war diary and it covers month to month on a single page throughout the years of service. Very sparse and no information in casualties.

I think I’m heading down the right track, there was a number either killed outright or later died of wounds.

The search goes on

Many Thanks for your help

• Admin

Another avenue of research is to find out to which Corps and/or which Army they were attached and then download their War Diary for the relevant period.

I've done that a few times with sucess when trying to find out what happened during some specific event to a certain attached unit.

Regards

Russ

Just now, RussT said:

Another avenue of research is to find out to which Corps and/or which Army they were attached and then download their War Diary for the relevant period.

I've done that a few times with sucess when trying to find out what happened during some specific event to a certain attached unit.

Regards

Russ

Does the 277 diary help us towards this?

• Admin

Now thinking perhaps they weren't actually attached to an Army/Corps.

The OoB for July 1917 states they came under the Director General of Transportation Troops - so perhaps the Diaries you linked to might help and/or there are others relevant.

Russ

277th RE.jpg

Railway units were Lines of Communication Troops, they had no attachment to divisions or corps although they could conduct their work with the range of enemy artillery. Start with  the war diary.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

37 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Start with  the war diary.

Thanks Terry. The op has looked at the 277 diary but says it's all too brief. Is next step Director?

These men are buried at Dozinghem.

Gents, he was originally 12th NF and because prior to the war he worked on the railway I believe he was Seconded to 277th Rly Coy.

Checked both diaries as the 12th NF (Pioneers) were attached at the time as Labour.

As one of the above posts, I strongly agree a shell burst killed John, and others plus wounded.

But both diary entries are vague with unfortunately not much info, so I don’t think I will find out exactly his demise 

Thanks group for all your help 

Kindest

Geoff