Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RE8 A3662

Starlight

I am trying to confirm the identity of a WW1 aircraft, No A3662 and its history. I think it was an RE8 and it may have been allocated to No 6 Squadron but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me?

Steve

A3662 was, indeed, an R.E.8 built by Daimler.

Unfortunately, I don't have its specific history to hand but I am sure someone else will!

Thanks for the link to the Australian War Museum. I found a photo of A3662 when it was handed over to No3 Squadron AFC but I have not been able to find out any more details about its history and its demise. Can anyone provide any more details?

Steve

• 2 years later...
I am trying to confirm the identity of a WW1 aircraft, No A3662 and its history. I think it was an RE8 and it may have been allocated to No 6 Squadron but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me?

Steve

Daimler in Coventry was contracted to make 1,450 RE8 aeroplanes.

In the end they produced 1,500 between 1916-18.

They also built R.A.F.4a and R.A.F.4d engines which went inside them.

Each plane was flown from Radford Aerodrome (Aircraft Acceptance Park No.1) attached to the side of their large Radford Factory and then from their they were accepted in military service.

A3662 was a presentation a/c Mr H. Teesdale Smith of Adelaide. It was listed with 69 Sqn during September 1917, still with unit when it was redes 3 Sqn AFC as a/c (the a/c was marked J with B-4 on wing) and by 12 July 1918 the a/c has flown 340hrs 30 mins and had crashed only once (on 27.6.18). Time expired, it was flown to England on 19 July 1918.

What a pleasant surprise to finally get to the bottom of A3662 after all this time. Thanks Mick and Lawrence.

Steve