Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books Wanted: mostly related to the Salonika Campaign

keithmroberts

I have managed to access  a couple of these books in libraries, but would really  like to acquire copies.

• 1914-1919 Memoirs of the 32nd Field Ambulance, (10th Irish Division)  By C Midwinter  published 1933
  • The experiences and records of a Lewis gun section in France and Salonika   Arnold Maxim 1917
  • The St. Barnabas pilgrimage to the battlefields and war cemeteries of Gallipoli and Salonika, 1926
  • A Diary of the Balkan Front World War 1: 22nd November 1915 to 16th October 1919   Douglas Harry Bernard HARFIELD , published 2003
  •  History of the Hampshire Territorial Force Association and War Records of Units, 1914-1919   published 1921

if any member has a copy of any of these titles that is no longer required, please contact me with an indication of the cost.

Keith

Cheers Alan, I'm not quite manic, but have bought quite a few of the items in the bibliography, including a couple of rarities and have read a few  more in libraries. I do believe in hens teeth, ever since finding a copy of Serbia and the Serbs, on line in Italy for less than 10 Euros. I paid more for the postage. Unfortunately it would have to be destroyed to be copied for any level of digitisation, being tightly stapled and fragile.  I am exploring access to a proper book copying system, and might eventually manage to create at least pdf  copies for the SCS website, but that is not guaranteed at present.

A copy of the Midwinter title is in the IWM, and Bodley, where I have read it, have a copy of the St Barnabas volume and a few other hard to find Salonika titles. I'm not a fanatical collector, but do prefer real books when I can find/afford them. Much of my reading has of necessity been  from the Internet Archive but I still find  it hard to walk past a charity shop, or even the scruffiest junk shop. 

If my main interest had been naval, the excellent collection in the Portsmouth History Centre would have met probably almost everything that I could wish for.

keith

Edited by keithmroberts