Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK Cemetery ID - possibly Manchester Southern

charlie2

Can anyone positively identify the cemetery from the church/chapel. The photos are from a collection belonging to a German PoW held at Handforth. The photos are dated 18th August 1918, the deaths registered with the CWGC since 1st August suggest it could well be Manchester Southern Cemetery

Thanks

Charlie

4DD97276-29D8-4365-9345-9E43DF4A76EE.jpeg

29156B1A-04E8-4093-A01A-E4807498EF1D.jpeg

Charlie,

I recognise the picture somehow... :rolleyes:

I had assumed it was Handforth (as according to google - shutterstock), but it seems this isn't correct.

Jan

3 hours ago, AOK4 said:

I recognise the picture somehow... :rolleyes:

That does surprise me :D

It is the chapel in Wilmslow Cemetery, I need to double check but I think the date may be wrong.

Charlie

Some of the pictures are great indeed, but unfortunately, there's no explanation on the back of them apart from the sender's details.

Wilmslow Cemetery Chapel earlier this afternoon, I may be able to go back in a few days time and see if I can work out which grave is in the second picture.

13956592_WilmslowCemeteryChapel.jpg.63c63819d2b75a059435feaa7f73d3e0.jpg

Edited by Gardenerbill

43 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Wilmslow Cemetery Chapel earlier this afternoon

Wonderful, many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2022 at 15:48, charlie2 said:

Can anyone positively identify the cemetery from the church/chapel. The photos are from a collection belonging to a German PoW held at Handforth.

On 25/10/2022 at 16:28, AOK4 said:

I had assumed it was Handforth

On 25/10/2022 at 20:22, charlie2 said:

It is the chapel in Wilmslow Cemetery

Called Wilmslow Cemetery it is on Manchester Road [the old A34] - the road to Wilmslow from Handforth! [Or on the road to Handforth, and Manchester beyond, from Wilmslow!!] - Wilmslow and Handforth are equidistant from/to the cemetery really.

If not seen before: https://handforthpowcampdotcom.wordpress.com

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

3 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

If not seen before

I was aware of the site, but many thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Charlie

Paid another visit to Wilmslow Cemetery today and took this photograph from as near as possible to where the original photographer would have stood. 
As can be seen, the grave in the foreground with columns and trefoil top, is still there. So the grave where the funeral party are stood should be immediately behind it.
You can just see the top of a CWGC headstone above and to the left.

650615381_WilmslowCemetery3.jpg.8ccfed46330e86cad33b13666274cb0a.jpg

In this photo you can see the CWGC gravestone more clearly but it appears to be further back and to the left of where the funeral party was standing. 
The other gravestones in the immediate vicinity are too recent.

832364000_WilmslowCemetery4.jpg.fd27a8a61810f2191743e59819c6543e.jpg

The CWGC gravestone is for 11916 Private H. Ross Royal Defence Corps 22nd December 1916.

1641251271_WilmslowCemetery5.jpg.2e594ff54e2893301058d4dad8fd4c89.jpg

2 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Happy for you to use them as you see fit

Mark

Very kind of you, many thanks. 
The photo is dated 17th Aug 1918 which I am being to think is wrong as I am struggling to find a matching death among the PoWs/Internees. 
Charlie

image.png.a79710a689e58cb78c2fe71c8e6300e3.png

Good work.

The ornate gravestone with the curly top is bang on in line with the buttress of tge church as in the original photo.
The grave stone to its left in the original is in line with the right hand side of the porch.
That stone has changed from the original - possibly in 1976?

It suggests the original shot was taken further back again suggesting that the mystery grave is behind and to the right of the curved stone. (Circled in red)

What is the white square stone further back?

grave.jpg

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Find a Grave has quite good photo coverage of the cemetery which includes plot numbers.

We are in plot K, C of E.

The trefoil stone is 246.k. those with visible names behind are 245.k, 235.k and 254.k although the latter is also given as 234.k which doesn't help.

A search for 1918 doesn't give any clues for the plot number which could mean there is no marker or the plot details are missing.

Odd I thought that inscriptions can be on either side and I don't think the graves are aligned E-W. The visible markers could be head or foot stones.

Macclesfield Cemetery Lodge would have the answer but would no doubt charge.

No certainty it's the funeral of a POW.

TEW

1 hour ago, TEW said:

No certainty it's the funeral of a POW.

TEW

Having sold the series of pics, we can pretty much be sure it IS a funeral of a POW. Unfortunately no clue about who or when exactly.

There is an open space behind and to the right of the ornate grave stone. I have 2 questions; first would a POW get full military honours i.e. guard of honour firing a volley over the grave and secondly would the grave be unmarked?

1 minute ago, Gardenerbill said:

There is an open space behind and to the right of the ornate grave stone. I have 2 questions; first would a POW get full military honours i.e. guard of honour firing a volley over the grave and secondly would the grave be unmarked?

1. I have seen pictures of burials with full military honours incl. a volley on both sides (so allied POWs buried in Germany and Germany POWs in UK) 2. The grave was undoubtedly marked, but most of the POW graves from WWI were moved to Cannock Chase.

Jan