Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badges

AGWR

Could anyone tell me whether the rolls themselves are arranged by regiment or date of issue?

How easy is it to find someone, if one knows the number of a soldier's SWB?

Were SWBs issued retrospectively to soldiers discharged prior to Sept 1916?

Were SWBs issued automatically?

Do the rolls identify a soldier's regiment or battalion?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

AGWR

How easy is it to find someone, if one knows the number of a soldier's SWB?

Hi AGWR

To find the recipient from just the badge number only is almost impossible. There are, however, a couple of researchers who have the "keys" to the rolls and they can find out for you for a fee of around £2:50 to £5. What number are you trying to research ?

If you have the soldiers details then it is plain sailing and just a matter of cross checking the List number on his medal index card with the relevant roll at Kew.

Steve

Could anyone tell me whether the rolls themselves are arranged by regiment or date of issue?

Do the rolls identify a soldier's regiment or battalion?

Hi

The badges in a particular roll will be arranged in a more or less date order but the rolls themselves can be for more than one regiment. Some of the larger Corps etc such as Royal Engineers, Machine Gun Corps, Labour Corps have their own rolls (RE, MGC, LC) but other Regiments are mixed within the rolls. Examples of this would be Hampshire Regiment, and Wiltshire Regiment found within the same roll ( C ) , likewise all of the Yeomanry mixed within (CY)

Some do and some don't. The Battalions of the London Regiments are identified within (TP) but none of the Battalions or Companies of the Machine Gun Corps are identified within (MGC)

Steve

Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. Basically, I are fairly sure that this chap served in the 17th Middlesex (contemporary newspaper reports, family stories and service number on his medals), but I haven't been able to find any MIC that fits. He might have been transferred to another unit before he was discharged, but the family seem fairly certain that he only served with the Middlesex regiment. That said, I didn't find him on any of the Middlesex medal rolls when I was going through them.

Regards,

AGWR

Hi

If he was discharged with either sickness or wounds etc he may well have been medically downgraded before his discharge and could have served in the Labour Corps after the 17th Middlesex Regiment

Steve

Does anyone know why some British SWB’s have a ‘B’ prefix to their number, and others do not? I know that it has nothing to do with corps or regiment, as I have seen ‘B’ prefix to both infantry recipients and others e.g. ACS, RA etc.

Duncan,

I would guess that it was simply that the first series ran out of numbers and this was an easy way to start again.

Steve

Duncan,

I would guess that it was simply that the first series ran out of numbers and this was an easy way to start again.

Steve

Absolutely correct,just expedience by the War Office ,rather than think of a different series of numbers,just add a Prefix Letter!