Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sling stretcher - Sherwood Forresters, 1915

David_Blanchard

Does anyone have more information or a photograph of a sling stretcher invented by Captain Britton Gill RAMC, Sherwood Forresters in July 1915? 

Information from WD of the ADMS July 1915. (There is no photograph attached in the appendix) 

David 144FD0FA-E9BC-4ABB-A6F7-9317B684BF4A.jpeg.2542736312c11887aeb346ced5e0cd8a.jpeg

48 minutes ago, David_Blanchard said:

Captain Britton Gill RAMC

Seems like: Capt. George Brittan GILL. Royal Army Medical Corps. 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D2750588  ,  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C697403

M

Perhaps similar to, or a precursor of, the articulated version below ......... "A stretcher designed for narrow trenches (1916): British surgeon George Herbert Colt designed this bendable stretcher as a way to move wounded men through the twists and turns of narrow, muddy trenches. Carried on the bearers’ shoulders, the wounded soldier lay semi-upright in the canvas sling suspended underneath"

George Herbert Colt.jpg

Wounded: Conflict, Casualties and Care | Science Museum

Edited by TullochArd

All I can find on Capt GB Gill in the JRAMC is a note in the Feb 1916 issue that a communication had been received from him. Other people seem to have been working on trench stretchers too: - click here (apologies for the mentions of stretcher bearers which were inadvertently trawled in).

Many thanks with the help provided for this enquiry. Much appreciated.

David 

There was clearly a demand for innovation in finding solutions to the problem of navigating a trench with a stretcher. Lance Corporal WE Pinnington DCM of the Liverpool Scottish [1/10th King's (Liverpool Regiment) ], one of Noel Chavasse's regimental bearers who was awarded the DCM for his finding and clearing wounded at Guillemont in early August 1916, patented a short stretcher for use in trenches when he was with the 3/10th KLR at Park Hall in Oswestry in 1917 . The patent in supported by other technical drawings. Pinnington's officer training with the RAF was interrupted by the ending of the war and he went on to be a teacher of woodwork. This original document from the Liverpool Scottish Museum Archive is on the battalion's very best embossed notepaper

Pinnington Stretcher 001 - Copy.jpg

2 hours ago, Ian Riley said:

There was clearly a demand for innovation in finding solutions to the problem of navigating a trench with a stretcher. Lance Corporal WE Pinnington DCM of the Liverpool Scottish [1/10th King's (Liverpool Regiment) ], one of Noel Chavasse's regimental bearers who was awarded the DCM for his finding and clearing wounded at Guillemont in early August 1916, patented a short stretcher for use in trenches when he was with the 3/10th KLR at Park Hall in Oswestry in 1917 . The patent in supported by other technical drawings.

Excellent info and illustration - 4' 5" would certainly seem better than 7' 9"

Do you know if it was it ever used?

M

Edit: It seems they were endorsed.

image.png.13c8a5c8c85a787271d70bbbfd4022f2.png

Thanks to Mr G***** https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=nO8xGONoMn0C&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq="pinnington+stretcher"&source=bl&ots=B5XfpDbW9K&sig=ACfU3U1L89xR3VO2MXzC-zZj501zqOqV7w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiA2Zfd0_36AhXERkEAHSGSBH4Q6AF6BAgJEAM#v=onepage&q="pinnington stretcher"&f=false

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Excellent info and illustration - 4' 5" would certainly seem better than 7' 9"

Do you know if it was it ever used?

M

Edit: It seems they were endorsed.

I wonder.  An issue with Pinnington's design is that the centre of gravity of the casualty is moved significantly and in excess of 75% of the weight is now borne on the arms of the man the rear.  I know which end I'd be at.  The Colt "bendy" sling version distributes the weight more evenly on the shoulders of the SBs and the Brittan-Gill sling may well have done similar.  I suspect that casualty evacuation routes were a more considered factor as the war progressed and the deployment of these items, if available, was perhaps limited to pinch points hence we don't see many of them.  I also wonder if they actually appear anywhere on unit RAP equipment tables or were held as local stores?

Edited by TullochArd

18 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

I wonder.  An issue with Pinnington's design is that the centre of gravity of the casualty is moved significantly and in excess of 75% of the weight is now borne on the arms of the man the rear.  I know which end I'd be at. 

Certainly the length would seem 'better' but I do acknowledge your point and similarly agree for the Pinnington design - I suppose it really depended on how much the CofG was shifted, given the casualty's feet seem to have extended behond the front SB's hands - but I reckon I think I know which end would likely seem preferrable from a SB's point of view [We would probably be having a vigourous 'discussion' over it!]

M

I wonder whether the Navy's Neil-Robertson stretcher was ever used in the trenches?

Edited by seaJane
trypo