Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal West Surrey Regiment

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi All,

I have recently acquired a new group to a 17 year old Private of the Royal West Surrey Regiment who died of wounds in May 1918.

I am looking for a cap badge to put with them, but it has to be original. I have looked on Ebay but dont really want to buy one off there.

Also, if anyone could provide me with any info on the 8th Battalions movements in May 1918, that would be superb as i really want to research this young man well.

Is it worth writing to the Museum to see what info they could provide me with?

All help appreciated

Thanks

Edited by Anthony Bagshaw

Dear Anthony,

To find out the movements of the 8th Battalion, The Queens, in May 1918, I believe that the book by Col. H.C. Wylly, "History of the Queen's Royal Regiment," would give you some information. When I researched Robert Stark, a private in the 7th Battalion, it listed the movements of the 7th, although not in great detail.

The other option is to look at the regimental records for the day your soldier died for more information. They are at the PRO. The Forum does provide a service for that if you cannot get there yourself.

The Queen's Museum at Clandon Park is a great place to visit, but unfortunately if your soldier was a ranker, they do not keep any records on soldiers at the Museum. You might get lucky and find him in some of the pictures they do have, but it is a long shot.

Hope that helps. Here is some information on the book I mentioned.

Cynthia

Wylly, H. C.; 1858-1932, ; (Harold Carmichael),; comp.; Foster, R. C. G., ; comp.

Publication: Aldershot, Gale & Polden

Year: ?-

Description: v. illus., ports., maps and atlas (maps) 26 cm.

Language: English

SUBJECT(S)

Descriptor: Army, British -- Regimental histories -- Queen's royal West Surrey regiment.

Document Type: Book

Entry: 19980217

Update: 20000705

Accession No: OCLC: 38451113

Database: WorldCat

Cynthia, Mark

Thank you for the info.

Every bit of help i get is great in helping me piece together this young mans life.

Thanks again!!