Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Re Cemeteries

kelly

Hi

Reading Stephen Chambers book on Krithia I note there is mention of the following cemeteries on page187 under tour 7 Gully Ravine of the following cemeteries that saw those interred concentrated into Pink Farm after the armistice 

Pink Farm No's 1, 2 and 3

29th Division

52nd Division

Aerodrome

Oak Tree

Guuly Beach 

Gully Farm

Does anyone have a plan/map they would share with me showing just where these cemeteries originally where

Garry

The most likely source would be the Sevki Pasa post-evacuation maps. These are 1:5,000 and all 43 sheets in the set are georeferenced on TrenchMapper.

If you goto TrenchMapper, right click and choose Gallipoli then right click again and choose Map ID jump with ID=m_012444. That will give the Sevki Pasa sheet 39.

The map legend is available via the Help Pages giving the Turkish symbol for Allied cemeteries, a set of often very small Xs.

There are 65 maps that cover that area, others may help.

Howard

Edited by Howard

One on your list which appears to be missing from the above map is Gully Farm. This farm was situated to the east of Gully Ravine, and just behind the Eski Line.

EDIT to ADD - The map ref for Gully Farm is 22 X 4
I'm not familiar with a cemetery called the 'Aerodrome,' however there was only one landing strip at Helles and that wasn't too far from what the map shows as W Beach cemetery.

Edited by michaeldr

When I was georeferencing the Şevki Paşa maps I noticed some very odd omissions. Some tracks or roads marked on British 1;10,000 maps are not there and other features are missing. However, as they were drawn immediately after the evacuation, it seems to me they should be the first maps to consult to find small detailed features- some of the detail is amazing like the tunnels around Quinn’s and the layout of dugouts as they were and not as map symbols. etc.

I have traced the Şevki Paşa maps in ArcGis Pro and found 45 Allied and 33 Islamic cemeteries marked of various sizes, some very small. However, there are cemetery/burial maps (on TrenchMapper) used by Bean and others for the Suvla Bay area and some of the individual burials on those are not on the Şevki Paşa maps, mind you, some of the Turkish cemeteries are not there either. What is on the Şevki Paşa is useful but if something is missing that is not surprising.

The 43 maps were drawn by a few teams of cartographers and there are clear differences between the teams in detail and style, I got the feeling some teams were keen and others somewhat less so.

The accuracy of the planimetry is the best available for Gallipoli but even so, not of the same standard as the Western Front. The accuracy of most other maps is poor to terrible.

Howard

Edited by Howard
Typos

12 hours ago, michaeldr said:

One on your list which appears to be missing from the above map is Gully Farm. This farm was situated to the east of Gully Ravine, and just behind the Eski Line. The map ref for Gully Farm is 22 X 4

For Gully Farm the map below should be of help. It can be found on the disc 'Gallipoli Military mapping 1914-1918' produced by the WFA & IWM

image.jpeg.36b00bb4b8eadb8a6c792bdbb0d46e12.jpeg

12 hours ago, michaeldr said:

I'm not familiar with a cemetery called the 'Aerodrome,' however there was only one landing strip at Helles and that wasn't too far from what the map shows as W Beach cemetery.

The sketch map below (from one of Len Sellers' 'RND' magazines) describes the sanitation at the W Beach Base, however you can also see the area marked "Aviation Ground". 

image.jpeg.4697e70ab3289ff5c1d75d77c0373362.jpeg

You will also be able to pick it out on this aerial photograph which appears in 'The Naval Memoirs of AF Sir Roger Keyes - The Narrow Seas to the Dardanelles 1910-1915'

image.jpeg.954f2ffb58301a3ed4e7af5c4b6b9db2.jpeg

1 hour ago, michaeldr said:

For Gully Farm the map below should be of help. It can be found on the disc 'Gallipoli Military mapping 1914-1918' produced by the WFA & IWM

image.jpeg.36b00bb4b8eadb8a6c792bdbb0d46e12.jpeg

All the maps on the Mapping the Front DVDs are on TrenchMapper, a project that evolved from the discs.

On TrenchMapper, use Map ID jump as above with ID=m_027195.

Howard

Good morning

What a wealth of information I have received, I had no idea there were so many

I really am so very grateful to all those who posted replies, thank you

Regards

22 hours ago, michaeldr said:

One on your list which appears to be missing from the above map is Gully Farm. This farm was situated to the east of Gully Ravine, and just behind the Eski Line.

EDIT to ADD - The map ref for Gully Farm is 22 X 4

Hi, yes I tend to agree with you as the last time I was there I visited Hunter Weston Hill and between that and  Lancashire Landing Cemetery was a strip of land (field) that was thought to have been used as a landing/take off strip. I naturally assumed this could have had a cemetery on it

The landing strip at Helles was always subjected to Ottoman artillery fire whenever they saw a plane come in there. Three planes had been destroyed by shell fire up to 29th June 1915 when the decision was made to stop using it except in emergencies (see the footnote on p.52 of 'The War in the Air, Vol.2')
After 29th June, then it may well be that some more peripheral area of the air-field was taken over as a cemetery.

• 3 months later...

Roy Elston ('Late of the Imperial War Graves Commission, Gallipoli'), in the Preface to his book 'The Traveller's Handbook for Constantinople, Gallipoli and Asia Minor' published by Thos, Cook & Son, 1923, acknowledges and thanks Col C E Hughes OBE, Capt A K Vickery, “and the whole of the IWGC staff for their unstinted hospitality and assistance...” suggests to me that his information on the location and concentration of the Gallipoli cemeteries must be reliable and therefore it is offered below.

260612831_HellesCemeteries.jpg.9de1b4a883151d595eb583c0a016c127.jpg

967365796_SuvlaCemeteries.jpg.276e53ed9e0f66756afd909402180c3d.jpg

image.jpeg.2373349a0598025aed697e8283a311d3.jpeg

image.jpeg.bdd8d6998b08a091a82b1bb6054e0270.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

The forward aerodrome was alongside Hunter Weston Hill and suggests itself as Aerodrome cemetery, but "1 mile NNE of Cape Helles" places it much further inland.

• 9 months later...