Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LONG LOST MEDALS.

steve140968

:unsure: After seeing the many , many threads from pals looking for 'grandads lost medals' i was wondering just where these medals end up , as most seem lost forever . Many thanks ,

Steve .

Hi

In the days before these things had any value, they were either scrapped, thrown away or given to jumble sales. I bought my only set for under a shilling (5p) back in the sixties. And I think I am one of the few that can't get very excited about them, after all they all look the same. I like photos, each one is individual every individual is different.

Yes my family has lost the medals of my Gt Uncle listed below, and they can't remember if they went when the house was bombed (the contents was blown out across the street) or just thrown away when it was cleared.

Everybody had them, nobody except perhaps the far sighted wanted them. My father never claimed his WW2 medals until just before he died 50 years on. If you didn't go in for that sort of thing, a lot of old soldiers didn't value them, and famlies of those who had died were often to grief stricken or bitter to treasure them.

Hi,

I'd second that, as from talking to my father, he has vague recollectons of some medals - he couldn't even be sure that they were his Grandfathers, but said something to the effect that they weren't uncommon - he said perhaps they could have been from a friend's family. He didn't know what had happened to them, but they had clearly gone without fanfare - he said bearing in mind he was one boy amongst a number of sisters, the focus at the time wasn't really on such things as medals. This was in the 1950's

regards

doogal

My friend was given a Mons Star recently that was found lying in the mud next to a skip a number of years ago. After a quick CWG check,and at my local museum, it came to light that he was in fact the first Manxman to be killed in action in the Great War. What a disaster it could have been if this would have ended up on a land-fill tip!

My friend was given a Mons Star recently that was found lying in the mud next to a skip a number of years ago. After a quick CWG check,and at my local museum, it came to light that he was in fact the first Manxman to be killed in action in the Great War. What a disaster it could have been if this would have ended up on a land-fill tip!

Similarly, I was given a 1914 Star that was found under the tarmac and soil of Burnley Bus Station during re-building works a couple of years ago. The parents of the person to whom it was awarded (KIA Nov.1914) lived ,during and post war, in a house that stood in the atrea untill they were demolished in the 1950's. My theory is that it was lost ,possibly under the floorboards, and buried under the rubble during demolition, flattened and tarmacced during the building of the first bus-station and dug-up when this tarmac was lifted for the re-build. It was in pretty rough condition and quite damaged, but ,after a quick clean-up, it now looks ok and is , rightfully, the pride of my collection. A "miracle" star.

Dave.

In answer to your original question,most "Long Lost Medals" find their way into a Collection,being cared for by someone that appreciates & cares for them often knowing far more about them than the Original or last owners ever would or often care to,one rarely knows how or why they became long lost,more often than not as a result of House Clearance,on the passing of the recipient,their spouse or last close N~o~K,or having been pawn for a few shillings in the 1920s & never redeemed. ;)

IIRC - There was a holocaust of BWMs in the 70s when the silver price rose and the BWM was worth more for scrap than it brought as a medal. Many dealers simply scrapped off all the BWMs. The stars and VMs then became virtually worthless and many were dumped. :angry: Phil B

My father never claimed his WW2 medals until just before he died 50 years on. If you didn't go in for that sort of thing, a lot of old soldiers didn't value them, and famlies of those who had died were often to grief stricken or bitter to treasure them.

My Grandfather, now 85 (Royal Navy WW2).

Still, to this day, refuses to claim for his WW2 medals.

Despite numerous pleas from myself.

He keeps telling me the same story...

"I don't want nothing from them (the MoD), as all us lot were treated like s**t!"

More reason to recieve something back for your trouble I'd have said, he doesn't see it like that though.

Too proud for his own good, as alot of Vet's are I suppose. :(

And Chris...

What is that about M Jackson?

I see him (on the Telly!) the other day, he was wearing a "Gilded" Royal Engineers badge on a ribbon around his neck... :blink:

Mark.

I see him (on the Telly!) the other day, he was wearing a "Gilded" Royal Engineers badge on a ribbon around his neck..

And a Sherwood Foresters one!!

I read, probably isn't true though, that he collects army badges from around the world????? <_<

:unsure:  i was wondering just where these medals end up

Most of them are under Terry's bed in Canada :lol:

;) Thanks guys , what a shame that so many have gone un-claimed and never will be . My own grandfathers i fear were pawned when times were hard , but i live in hope that one day i will find them . I wonder how many treasures are sitting in someones atic at the moment . They seem to turn up in some weird and wonderful places , so i guess the message is 'never give up' ! It's a shame that many gallantry medals have a 'lost forever ' story behind them and i hope that lessons have been learn't in more recent times and that these stories have been well documented for the benefit of future generations . Steve .

Does anyone remember the poignant scene in ITVs "When The Boat Comes In" when James Bolam,a DCM & his Pal,an MM Winner & all their Town Chums who had served with them,lobbed their Medals into the Dirt in Disgust,when they were locked out of the Colliery I believe by "T'Pit Owners Lad",I cried! :(

Does anyone remember the poignant scene in ITVs "When The Boat Comes In" when James Bolam,a DCM & his Pal,an MM Winner & all their Town Chums who had served with them,lobbed their Medals into the Dirt in Disgust,when they were locked out of the Colliery I believe by "T'Pit Owners Lad",I cried! :(

Close Harry, actually, the scene was when the local magistrate, who had just imprisioned the shellshocked character 'Will Scrimgour' was elected the Local MP by a slim majority over the Labour candidate. Jack Ford and his men waited to hear the result at the Town Hall and when the magistrate left to get in his car Ford approached him...

"We heard you were in the Army, said Ford. Pinner smiled indulgently. He'd been right after all. A little sontaneous surprise like this would do his parliamentary career no harm at all. 'Yes Sergent' he said 'I was'. Ford's voice changed, becoming a parody of cringing servility.

'Only you didn't get a medal, not like us lucky *******. Well you can have mine-and Will Scrimgour's.' Will Scrimgours was held in his hand and he thew it at Pinner's feet, then he plucked his own from the breast of his tunic and hurled them down too. Pinner flinched as if Ford had struck him, then marched between the two ranks of waiting men. As he passed each man threw their medals at his feet.....The policeman with the Military Medal open the car door, as the chauffeur tugged at the starting handle.

'Well, constable' saidf Pinner, 'aren't you going to do anything about it?' The policeman said 'no harm in in being given a medal, sir' and reached to his left breast of his tunic an, threw the medal at Pinner's feet."

I loved the show as a young boy and it was my first time I had encountered the Great War in any meaningful way. I can still remember the scene where Scrimgour was being teased by young boys rattling sticks up and down the bars of iron fence along the footpath, and Scrimgour hiding like a ball by the side of the road.

hope that brings back fond memories...Ian.

I can still remember the scene where Scrimgour was being teased by young boys rattling sticks up and down the bars of iron fence along the footpath, and Scrimgour hiding like a ball by the side of the road.

Ian,

I must only have been 6 or 7 when the show was on but I do recall a scene similar to the above.

Was there a scene when one of the characters thought that he heard a shell coming and he threw himself down onto the road as his friends looked on?

I'd love to watch it again. James Bolam was quite brilliant. As was the theme tune.

How many people have found old medals mixed in with the plastic 'toy money' used by children when playing shops? Recently, I was in an aunt's house when a plastic lunch box was produced after a rummage in the attic.

In amongst the 1970s vintage play money were several medals .. minus ribbons!

I'll bet loads of kiddies were given medals to play with in this fashion.

I'd love to watch it again. James Bolam was quite brilliant. As was the theme tune.

Derek.

You'll be pleased to know that it's been re-released on DVD and video in box sets(BBC Video?) quite recently.

Dave.

I only came into contact with my Great Grandfathers medals last year. I am proud to have them and will cherish them always.

They have little value on the open market but to our family they are priceless.

I will leave instructions to my son , now aged two , to look after them well and pass them on to his family.

Roland.

My Dad handed his grandads Victory Medal (it's the only one left of his Trio) onto me when I started looking into the Family Tree & WW1 History. I too shall treasure it.

I just wonder why dad waited so long? Perhaps he was waiting til I was old enough - I'm 37 :lol:

Close Harry, 

Many thanks for that~I only remembered The Medals~the Details I forgot!!,Thank you for bringing it back! Regards Roger{HBMCDCM}

My dad tells a similar story to Marks. His uncle refused to apply for his WW2 medals. He was called up despite being in a reserved occupation (a collier) and served from Dunkirk to D Day. When he got back after the war his work colleagues took the piss. They had been exempt from service and laughed at him saying he'd had a cushy time in the army and had been a mug to go. His wife applied for them after he died.

Amazing stories about miracle finds. I shall check my local recycling more closely.

Duncan.

My Dad handed his grandads Victory Medal (it's the only one left of his Trio) onto me when I started looking into the Family Tree & WW1 History. I too shall treasure it.

I just wonder why dad waited so long? Perhaps he was waiting til I was old enough - I'm 37 :lol:

This is almost exactly how I came about my Gt-Grandads WW1 trio.

I can always remember them hanging in a frame, on the wall of my Grandads house when I was younger. When he died in 1978, they just seemed to "Disappear". It was only about 18 mths ago when I started to realise I never even knew how Gt-Grandad had been killed. Started to ask the family some questions, my own Dad didn't even know, and he was his grandad. He just never bothered to ask... :huh:

As I tried to trace his WW1 service, with absolutely nothing to go on, my Mum made a discovery. Sitting in a sewing box, in the loft, Gt-Grandads WW1 Trio and Plaque (strangley not framed anymore). My Dad then gave them to me, saying that he would like me to have them. 25 yrs apparently lost, ask a few questions and BINGO.

They are now (apart from the kids and missus, of course... :P ) my most treasured possesions.

They are, as far as I'm concerned, "irreplaceable". I would dearly love to display them, once more in a frame with "Pride of Place" on the living room wall. But I just couldn't bear the thought of someone "Taking-a-Shine", and relieving me of them. Sadly they are locked away, and only the "chosen few" are allowed to cast an eye over them.

If you possess your relations medals... Treasure Them Always.

Mark.

My Father gave me my Grandfather's Victory medal nearly 20 yeras ago plus his silk postcards that he sent from France and his soldiers prayer card. After talking to my nan's brother and sister they gave me his BWM and 14/15 star. I have them on the wall framed and they are my most prized possession after my daughter! My Nan never knew her father as he died 18 months after she was born, but through this forum and the help from Mark Relf i have managed to piece his service together. I am currently having his name carved on his village war memorial where he was born and it is to be unveiled shortly. I have searched for my Uncle's medals that went missing 20 years ago and found them via this site,hopefully one day the guy who currently has them will kindly sell them back to the family. I look forward to that day.