Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two RFA unknowns identified in officer's diary?

David Porter

The Ogilby Muster military archives now online are proving to be a real goldmine for researchers. I was browsing through the diaries of Major Joseph Edgar Edwards RHA (AMOT039_WW1_MD.1659) in particular his diary for 1917 which has entries relating to his service with B Battery, 77 Brigade RFA, at Poelcappelle. One entry in October 1917 set me off looking for burial records.

1954606298_Positionshelled.jpg.58c97d4ff3a07612e131cac9a269d507.jpg

Image from The Ogilby Muster - AMOT039_WW1_MD.1659_0144

October 13, 1917
"Position shelled to H---
S.M. Grain, Sgt. Fish, Gnr. Simmonds, Dvr. Sagar Killed, 8 wounded
Orders to leave position
Stopped myself at position and buried dead in morning and then cleared to W.L."
(Wagon Line)

32955 B.S.M. Harry Grain is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial Panel 4 to 6
795523 Gnr. Alfred Sagar now buried at Poelcappelle British Cemetery, Plot 40. E. 8.
24071 Sgt. Harold Fish now buried at Poelcappelle British Cemetery Plot 40. E. 9.
39250 Gnr. Samuel Simmonds is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial Panel 4 to 6

Plot 40. E. 7 and Plot 40. E. 10, either side of Sagar and Fish are occupied by two RFA unknowns.

801763228_Plot40RowE.jpg.b43fdcb195d264d7ec9d7d32e97849d8.jpg

The Concentration Report states that the body in Plot 40. E. 10. was found at the same location as Sagar and Fish.
I suspect that the body in Plot 40. E. 7. was also from that place but cannot find the Concentration Report.

Concentration.jpg.721b9b9bc9850695c42e8803c9bff326.jpg

The chance that these two RFA unknowns are Grain and Simmonds would appear to be quite high.
Does anyone know if the CWGC and this "national defence authority" would be interested in following this up?

Anyway, I thought this worthy of a post as the two missing men may have been found. 

Edited by David Porter

Congratulations David on a nice piece of research.

The preceeding COG_BR page confirms that the Plot 40 Row E Grave 7 is that of an RFA soldier recovered from exactly the same location as the other three:

2088161849_PoelcapelleCOG-BRPlot40E7.jpeg.f3340e171c9b57c95194a41be025eafe.jpeg

You have definitely identified the graves of Grain and Simmonds but which is which? The 'Means of Identification' offers nothing by way of distinguishing between a BSM and a Gunner.

It is a great pity that they were not buried next to each other so that a joint stone could be erected instead of being buried either side of the 'knowns'.

There is a very strong case for some form of named memorial but I seem to rcall that the CWGC no longer provides this option.

3 hours ago, David Porter said:

Does anyone know if the CWGC and this "national defence authority" would be interested in following this up?

Excellent find - especially as you now have both COG BR as well.

Surely worth a go - nothing ventured then nothing potentially gained - may perhaps at least get a "Known buried in this cemetery" commemoration even if the specific plots aren't exactly identified [surely this would be better/more recorded for any relatives than the existing commemoration - would be a shame for this info to get lost again]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Thanks for the comments. I have made a double submission (one after the other) as the system is not designed for just one form. It also seems overly complex, but then again, I've never done this before. Also glad to see the other Concentration Return confirming the location of the fourth body.