Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surname help please

BillyH

The widow of a soldier who was killed in the war in 1917 later remarried and I cannot decipher her new surname - it looks a bit like Bourton to me?  With her new address being given I wonder if any of the GWF sleuths can ascertain the surname for me?    However, the lady in question (born 3.7.1892) was definitely not at that address in 1911 or 1939 - and I do not have access to the 1921 census.             

Her previous married surname was McLaughlin but I have been unable to find a marriage record using numerous variations of her new name of  'Bourton'  A clipping from a pension ledger card is attached below.

BillyH.

gwf.jpg.5742058dc53fe9845e1d59e19d30b7f6.jpg

To know the first husband's name may help us

George

You haven't been able to trace her from Bleasby Street Oldham either?

George

29 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

To know the first husband's name may help us

Arthur McLaughlin #13761

Arthur is recorded on 1911 census as 20 year old boarder but I think its brother to Jones,family born in Birkenhead.

1901 census surname  Mcloughlin also at Birkenhead.

birth registered 1891.

he was ACC but Fold 3 has him as Airman died an observer in a RE8, they have an aditional name Capt B H Smith. was Capt Smith the pilot or an alias?

there is a service record for Arthur Mclaughlin pearly war on Fold 3 married to Margaret Pugh 12.12.13. number W/483 , attested 3 Sept 1914, General Service Infantry (13th Cheshire Regt) , Unfit for further service.

is any of this of use?

Thanks for the interest, but I did already know all of the above details (apart from the 1921 census info).

However, no-one has commented on the main reason for this post (given in the title). What do we think the surname is - Bourton?  Is the last letter an N or a W?  Any other suggestions would be welcome and I can then search for a marriage for Margaret McLaughlin to B*?   I have previously tried searching Ancestry and BMD for a marriage using wildcards without any luck.

BillyH.

• Admin

I don't think it is Boniton as FMP comes up with only 3 hits none seemingly relevant.

Given the way the "r" is formed in "Hatherley Road" I would suggest Bourton - lots of potential hits on FMP for that one.

Good luck!

It looks like Barstow or Borstow.

53 minutes ago, Bardess said:

I wonder if she gave her name as Pugh for her 2nd marriage?

I have tried that possibility endlessly, without success.

BillyH.

Bourton appears in the Bromley area around 1921

Births Mar 1921   (>99%)
Bourton  George H  Bourton  Bromley  2a 1057  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Mar 1921   (>99%)
Bourton  George H  0  Bromley  2a 712  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

1 hour ago, davidbohl said:

Bourton appears in the Bromley area around 1921

Births Mar 1921   (>99%)
Bourton  George H  Bourton  Bromley  2a 1057  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Mar 1921   (>99%)
Bourton  George H  0  Bromley  2a 712  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Thanks, but it looks as though it was an illegitimate birth (no mother's maiden name given).

1 hour ago, ARABIS said:

It looks like Barstow or Borstow.

Still nothing turning up.

I think I will draw a line under this now, it isn't overly important but I hate to be beaten!

BillyH,

Bourton was the name of the house

From BNA

Screenshot_20221021-144322_Chrome.jpg

Well I never 

Well done David

Ray

Edit missed J.W.K 's post well done J.W.K 

Edited by RaySearching

8 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Well done David

Credit to JWK for digging about really

Without the paper it would have been a lot of wasted effort 

1 hour ago, JWK said:

Maybe Margaret was a parlourmaid in "Bourton", and it somehow got mixed up in the pension ledger?

I don't think it's necessarily mixed up, but it just depends how you read it. 

Confusing, certainly!

Thanks to all for sorting the 'Bourton' business out. Just out of idle curiosity I got the 1911 census out for 64 Hatherley Road and it was a 9 roomed house occupied by an elderly businessman with a housekeeper and a domestic servant. Probably fits the bill for the 1917 advert?

BillyH.