Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rolls Royce Hawk engine

IanA

On a recent visit to the Jetty Museum on Lake Windermere, I admired a Rolls Royce Hawk engine taken from a Great War airship and re-purposed for use on a speedboat. Having taken the photos for my own interest, it occurs to me that they may be of interest to others.

Ian

DSC01436.JPG

DSC01437.JPG

3 hours ago, IanA said:

On a recent visit to the Jetty Museum on Lake Windermere, I admired a Rolls Royce Hawk engine taken from a Great War airship and re-purposed for use on a speedboat. Having taken the photos for my own interest, it occurs to me that they may be of interest to others.

Ian

DSC01436.JPG

DSC01437.JPG

Thank you Ian.  They're certainly interesting to me!

2 hours ago, pete-c said:

Thank you Ian.  They're certainly interesting to me!

Glad to be of help.

Is it still a working boat ?

Does the engine still run? It might be older than the Rolls Royce Falcon engine running in the Shuttleworth Bristol Fighter.

6 hours ago, nils d said:

Is it still a working boat ?

Does the engine still run? It might be older than the Rolls Royce Falcon engine running in the Shuttleworth Bristol Fighter.

No, it's a static exhibit. Looking at the condition, I'd be surprised if the engine couldn't be serviced and run again.

On 19/10/2022 at 11:37, IanA said:

On a recent visit to the Jetty Museum on Lake Windermere, I admired a Rolls Royce Hawk engine taken from a Great War airship

Nice exhibit and interestng story.

The Hawk was used for Sea Scout derigibles I think, possibly others??

M

5 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Nice exhibit and interestng story.

The Hawk was used for Sea Scout derigibles I think, possibly others??

M

Ta. I confess that I know nowt about it. I imagine it's a lightweight design. Must have made an 'interesting' boat ride.

18 minutes ago, IanA said:

I confess that I know nowt about it. I imagine it's a lightweight design. Must have made an 'interesting' boat ride.

I know very little - but one would think so, and certainly seems to have performed nicely for its new owner/in its new role.

On a Sea Scout derigible it had a large radiator at the front of the engine - which was just in front of the propellor [which was at the rear of the enginer/car] - I would presume in a nautical environment the cooling water was taken directly from the water below so a radiator was not needed.

Nice that it has survived.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add