Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nery "L" Battery 1914 Mourning Card

ianw

Interesting to see a mourning card for a Nery casualty for sale on Ebay (£40 Buy it Now - Item 2180127441). Lovely crisp writing on this card which is approaching 90 years old .

Guest Hill 60

Ian - I judge by your posting you might be a tad sceptical about this card :).

Who is it too, out of curiosity (check my signature & you'll see why I have an interest in 'L' Battery) :ph34r:

It's for Gunner Edward Marsh of "L" Battery Royal Horse Artillery who died 2 days after being wounded in the famous action at Nery, when his battery were suprised by German cavalry whilst covering the British retreat from Mons in September 1914 and you will find it at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...41&category=584

Agree the handwriting is a tad 'unusual' but I have dealt with this Ebay dealer before and had no trouble.

Lee,

Indeed a famous surname in 1914 terms !

The card is inscribed to Gunner E T Marsh. I suppose, we cannot say for sure just how many WW1 items are absolutely kosher and this one may well be , I suppose. But it must be very tempting to add a bit of provenance to an uninscribed compass, card or inumerable other WW1 items given the value that could be added. Caveat Emptor.

Guest Hill 60
Indeed a famous surname in 1914 terms !

Paul - Ian - Thanks for the extra info.

And, yes Ian, a famous name of 1914. Nothing to do with my Bradbury family though! Nor was Ray Bradbury (author), John Bradbury (chief cashier of Bank of England-name used be on all UK bank notes), Lee Bradbury (Portsmouth football player) or that Aussie Bradbury who won gold at the last Olympics in the speed skating final :(