Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was a man serving on HMS Ascot in 1918-19 as "Mercantile Steward" serving in the Merchant Marine Reserve?

rolt968

In 1918-1919 the powers that be when distributing medals were finding it difficult to find the brother of casualty whom I am researching. When they finally found him (the brother) he was serving as a "Mercantile Steward, HMS Ascot" (from the casualty's soldier's record).

Was the brother serving in the Mercantile Marine Reserve (on a T124X agreement perhaps?)?

If so where do  I look for any record or medal list?

(I think I have aske something like this before But cannot find it!)

Many thanks.

RM

If he was in the MMR, he would be on the MMR medal roll subsection, as compiled by the Admiralty. What is the first letter of his surname?

He would have had to apply to the Admiralty for a Victory Medal. He would have had to apply to the BoT for a Mercantile Marine War Medal.

On 10 Nov 1918, ASCOT was the last ship to be sunk by direct enemy action (by UB.67) in WW1. Her entire crewof 51 were lost. The crew included five men who were Mercantile Marine Reserve (MMR) of whom two were the only stewards borne.

The Admiralty MMR Medal Rolls are at TNA under ADM171/130 to /133

May we know a name?

Thank you both. I am away from my notes at the moment but, I think he was James [Knight] MacDonald. (I will confirm that when I get home.) I think he survived the war; at least I don't think he is on the same church war memorial as his brother although he is on the Roll of Honour (wrongly listed as RNR).

For MMR ratings whose surnames are in the Fow-Mea bracket, the archive reference is ADM 171/131.

I no longer have access to this via Ancestry so cannot perform a lookup. I don't like Ancestry's indexing. My advice would be to find 951561 Fireman Arthur McCann and to scroll though the subsequent pages until you get to MacDonald. From memory, regardless of spelling I do believe all men with these Scottish surnames are spelt as "Mc" for the simplicity of the MMR medal roll.  

ADM 171/131 has only one Steward James McDONALD MMR. He is noted as earning Victory and British War Medals in HMS ATHERSTONE, a paddle minesweeper of the ASCOT or Racecourse-class.

The Roll has no Steward James MacDONALD or MACDONALD MMR

12 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

For MMR ratings whose surnames are in the Fow-Mea bracket, the archive reference is ADM 171/131.

I no longer have access to this via Ancestry so cannot perform a lookup. I don't like Ancestry's indexing. My advice would be to find 951561 Fireman Arthur McCann and to scroll though the subsequent pages until you get to MacDonald. From memory, regardless of spelling I do believe all men with these Scottish surnames are spelt as "Mc" for the simplicity of the MMR medal roll.  

8 hours ago, horatio2 said:

ADM 171/131 has only one Steward James McDONALD MMR. He is noted as earning Victory and British War Medals in HMS ATHERSTONE, a paddle minesweeper of the ASCOT or Racecourse-class.

The Roll has no Steward James MacDONALD or MACDONALD MMR

Well done to both of you. I supply you with wrong information and you come up with the right answer! He was James Knight MacDonald. He was serving on HMS Atherstone. (I wonder where I got Ascot from? I did know it was a Racecourse Class minesweeper, but I don't think I knew it as the Ascot Class.)

Thank you both again.