Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Lt Christopher Gilbert, No 2 Sqn

Dolphin

A 2Lt Gilbert was an observer in No 2 Sqn in 1915 and 1916.  He was mentioned in the RFC Communiques on 19 September, 7 October and 11 November 1915, plus 2 April 1916.  I'm trying to determine if the man in question was Christopher Guy Gilbert, a prominent pre-War Rugby player known as "The Dorset Flyer" who subsequently became a pilot in  No 29 Sqn and was shot down and captured by Manfred von Richthofen on 25 March 1917.

It seems that a 2Lt Edward Mark Gilbert may also have served in No 2 Sqn at about the same time.

Advice will be much appreciated.

Gareth

Ron 

Thank you for your help.  I have the book you quote, but it doesn't say anything about 2Lt Gilbert's RFC time other than he transferred from the Dorset Regiment sometime after going to France in July 1915 and that his flying ended after his encounter with von Richthofen in March 1917.

I'm trying to find out what he was doing in late 1915 and 1916.

Cheers

Gareth

Thank you fopr the additional information. Unfortunately, his activities in 1916 still remain unknown.

Gareth

Hi

2nd Lieutenant Ernest Mark Gilbert was an observer with No 2 Squadron from 14/08/1915 to 09/01/1916. Christopher Guy Gilbert was a Lieutenant when he landed in France on 13/07/1915 so presumably it can't be him being referred to as 2nd Lt Gilbert.

Steve

Edited by hmsk212

Fron 2 RAF sources.

from the vault 29 squadron.

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/gilbert-c.g

from casualty 25 squadron

https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/8278

both have same back to England with flu on HS St. Andrew 20th April 1916. If it was 25 Squadron this gives an idea of what they were doing in the month he was in France.

http://www.25squadron.org.uk/History.htm

29 Squadron.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/services/gbritain/rfc/29.php

Thanks very much for your help - greatly appreciated

Now I know the 2Lt Gilbert who was with No 2 Sqn in 1915 was Ernest Mark Gilbert, while the observer in No 25 Sqn in April 1916 was Lt Christopher Guy Gilbert, who was posted to No 40 Sqn and later No 29 Sqn after qualifying as a pilot.

I wonder if the men concerned ever thought that over century later there would be people trying to trace their movements?

Gareth

Dolphin,

I researched the life and career of Lieut. Ernest Mark Gilbert, M.C., after your post called attention to him.  Here is what I found:

Ernest Mark Gilbert, born 24 February 1892, at Enfield, Middlesex; raised in Enfield (1901 & 1911 Census); emigrated to Canada,

arriving at Quebec in August, 1911' living at Halton, Ontario in 1911 (1911 Canada Census); married in Ontario, Canada, in 1914, to Evelyn

Hunter.  The chronology of his Great War military service comprises:

6th Battalion, Rifle Brigade; rank, Rifleman

Army Service Corps, Remount Depot; rank, Sgt. & Rough Rider

3rd Battalion, Essex Regiment; rank, Second Lieutenant (commissioned 2nd Lieut. on Probation, 23 April 1915 & confirmed in rank as 2nd Lieut. 20 January 1916)

Royal Flying Corps, 6th Brigade; attached to RFC at Brooklands, 26 July 1915; embarked to France, 14 August 1915, attached to 2 Squadron as Observer,

15 August 1915; graded Qualified Observer, 11 September 1915; appointed 2nd Lieut (RFC) & Observer Officer, 18 December 1915; posted to Home

Establishment, 9 January 1916; awarded the Military Cross (London Gazette 14 January 1916 (listed only; no award citation); posted to 10 Reserve Squadron,

U.K., 17 March 1916 whilst training as a pilot; graduated from the Central Flying School & appointed Flying Officer (Pilot), 27 June 1917; posted to

39 Home Defence Squadron, 27 June 1917; posted to 44 Squadron, U.K. 30 July 1917 through 1918; appointed RFC Temporary/Lieutenant, 1 September

1916 & RAF Lieutenant, 1 April 1918.  Relinquishing his commission on 6 November 1918, he had been Mentioned in Despatches (London Gazette, 1 January

1916) and was eligible for the Silver Wound Badge (dated 13 December 1918).  Though his RAF Officer's Service Record (AIR 76 /181/191 at the National

Archives) states his residence, in 1920, as Ditchling, Essex, he returned to Ontario, Canada after the war, raised a family with his wife, Evelyn, and died on

6 May 1954, in Ontario.  Whilst his AIR 76 service record gives his birthdate as 20 January 1892, the 24 February 1892 date is confirmed by census

and travel records, and is inscribed on his gravestone.  His Medal Index Card (WO 372/8/8225 states that he embarked to France in July, 1915, but

his RAF Casualty Form states 14 August 1915.  Additional information may be available in his Army Officer's Service Record (WO 339/3366) that I

could not access.  I hope this is of interest.

Josquin 

Good evening Josquin

You did a great job of research into the war service of Lt E M Gilbert MC and it's an interesting account.. My original post was an effort to determine if the two Lts Gilberts mentioned in the RFC Communiques were the same person, and it's now evident that they were two different officers.

Thanks very much

Gareth

• 6 months later...

Gareth,

Guy Gilbert was my (great) uncle. I’m interested in your interest. My family was approached ten or so years ago to provide information about Guy and about his brother Major Vivian Gilbert who was General Allenby / Brigadier-General Watson’s machine gun officer at the surrender of Jerusalem in 1917. 

S

S

Thank you for supplying more information.  My enquiry was really about Lt E M Gilbert MC, as I was carrying out some research into RFC activities in 1915 and couldn't determine if the two Lt Gilberts I mentioned in my first post were separate people.  However, thanks to the Forum, all is now clear.

Best wishes

Gareth