Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New war memorial

Clive Maier

When memorials make the news it is usually for the wrong reasons; vandalism, neglect or because they are held to be in the way now. They do things differently in Tonbridge. The people of the town thought their memorial ought to be more in the way, not less. The memorial, a wall and garden of remembrance, is pleasantly situated off Bradford Street, near the river and the playing fields but people who are just passing through the town never see it. So began an eight-year campaign for a new memorial in a more prominent position. The Tonbridge New War Memorial Trust began raising funds in earnest in January 2004 and quickly accumulated £34,000 from 243 contributors. So quickly that the memorial was built and dedicated by 11 November.

The new memorial is a 3.5m obelisk in the High Street, beside the Big Bridge over the Medway and in the lee of the castle. It bears no names and carries the simple inscription “In proud memory of all Tonbridge men and women who gave their lives in serving our community during war and peace.” The new memorial is not intended to replace the wall and garden which will remain the focal point of Remembrance Day. But even those who just drive through always glance towards the castle and the river, and now they will know that Tonbridge remembers.

I have some reservations about the structure itself. The rusticated stonework makes for an awkward marriage of obelisk and cairn. I think it will look better as it weathers though, and one certainly can’t fault the thought. Well done Tonbridge!

post-857-1112108625.jpg

... And this is the 'old' memorial. It is a tricky one for researchers; just surnames and initials. No ranks or units.

post-857-1112108819.jpg

This is the new memorial at Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire unveiled in September 2004 and used for the first time on Remembrance Day 2004. The hearses bearing the bodies of the RAF crew from RAF Lyneham who lost their lives in Iraq were ceremonially driven past the memorial recently.

http://www.oodwooc.co.uk/ph_wb_wmem.htm

Dave

Neither memorial would win a prize (imho) but it is the manner of their dedication which is a delight. Well done to both.

Well done the Tonbridge New War Memorial Trust and its contributors.

"Now they will know that Tonbridge remembers"- well put Clive.

• 2 weeks later...

Clive,

Thank you for posting the photo of the new memorial.

Sensible positioning of the memorial in one of the more scenic portions of the High Street where it will be noticed.

I look forward to seeing how it is weathering on my next trip "home".

Matthew

As an exiled Tonbridgian I always thought the war memorial was a little out of the way. I'm pleased to see this new memorial in the obvious location. Thanks for posting the pictures Clive.

The memorial in Sittingbourne, has actually been moved to a more prominent venue (just off of the High Street).

It used to be right out of the way (close to the Grammar School) - I went to the Grammar School and can't really remember seeing it!

I don't have any pictures, but it is far better in its home IMO