Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Petty Officer David WATSON, Royal Navy

Matlock1418

I don't have any special interest - but for yours ... Possible non-comm??

This page just seems to keep on giving https://www.docdroid.net/n01dSQJ/fife-free-press-kirkcaldy-guardian-saturday-23-february-1918-pdf

Fife Free Press, & Kirkcaldy Guardian - Saturday 23 February 1918.pdf

image.png.98a3a5da6e9c557884c9d4ee486865cd.png

No idea of actual cause of death but he doesn't seem commemorated at CWGC

Take it away ...

M

12 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Thanks for this.

A disability pension card at WFA/Fold3:  WATSON, David  230067, 340067, Cooper and also as Petty Officer on another card

image.png.9d7221a67eb0c05059381714a80fcc26.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

Addressed C/o Mrs Watson, Cuddie Knowe,by Kirkcaldy, Fife - so that seems to fit nicely

There is an annotation for "Sir Thomas Picton" - I presume that was the Lord Clive-class monitor. Sir Thomas Picton [OK wiki was helping out here!]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
PO

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

Entry in Admiralty Index Casualty dated 1920, so late notification.

But even so would be within relevant dates for CWGC - if the cause of death could be linked to service.

Cue = Check Death Cert at ScotlandsPeople ...

image.png.b7f4b8d9fceef17057db9b0b9e1df47a.png

Image thanks to ScotlandsPeople

Phthisis [Pulmonary tuberculosis] - always tricky with with CWGC and a post-discharge death, 12 February 1918

Certainly looks like there could be a potential in-service cause/commencement and its eventual effect but the challenge will be proving a strong link to his service.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
credit for image

Not sure if you saw this since it isn't indexed on Fold3:

Index.jpg.2af8f3ff3d858635bf876382442ad464.jpg

Unfortunately, nothing to say that tb was related to service.

3 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

Not sure if you saw this since it isn't indexed on Fold3:

Index.jpg.2af8f3ff3d858635bf876382442ad464.jpg

Thanks - I hadn't [Where did you find it?] - but as you say, it doesn't reaally help as to cause/commencement of the TB

Again the MoP [as we have often seen for others] seem to have been satisfied enought to pay out a pension, spendingthe Nation's cash, but CWGC are likely to think this is not adequate evidence.

The CWGC attitude to the MoP is rather frustrating [given that the MoP wouldn't have paid out if they didn't think there was cause/effect/national obligation - so why not commemoration?]

The hunt goes on.

M

51 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

[Where did you find it?]

There are whole blocks of pension cards on Fold3 that have no transcription. WFA are aware of the problem but I suspect it's dependant on Fold3 having the will to do something about it. Fortunately, you can find them by searching the pension cards on Ancestry.

14 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

There are whole blocks of pension cards on Fold3 that have no transcription. WFA are aware of the problem but I suspect it's dependant on Fold3 having the will to do something about it. Fortunately, you can find them by searching the pension cards on Ancestry.

Thanks for the explanation - unfortunately I don't have immediate access to Ancestry [but at least I now know of a potential route to access this missing resource]

M

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2022 at 16:11, horatio2 said:

Entry in Admiralty Index Casualty dated 1920, so late notification.

Please can you explain any signficance of the above Admiralty Index - reason for, details, etc.

Anything that might link his service to his death?

M