Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map request Zillebeke - Hollebeke

abn311

Can someone provide me with an extract of a trench map of the front line and rear areas near Woods, Hedge Row Trench and 1st Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry Cemetery ?

These 3 small cemeteries, each with it’s own distinct character lie in a quiet part of the salient between Zillebeke and Hollebeke: Hedge Row with the circular lay-out, the spreaded graves of Woods and the typical CWGC 1st DCLI.

Does someone know of literature covering this area in detail ?

Regards,

bert.

post-630-1112103879.jpg

View from Woods Cemetery towards 1st DCLI Cem (right) and Hedge Row Trench Cem (not visible, but behind the trees left of the center).

There is a map of this area on page 89 of Walking The Salient; it is quite detailed and was drawn by a Lancashire Fusiliers officer who was there in 1916.

Take a look HERE. There might be a map of interest on this page.

Dave. :)

I would definitly recommend the regimental histories of the Württemberger units who lay there in 1916. Haven't checked on the British counterparts yet. They are all at the IFF doc. center. Even if you don't read German, they are worth havin a look at, as they contain some very detailed maps of the area between The Bluff and Hill 60 (I guess that's the area you are interested in) There are some nice detailed trench maps of that specific area at the doc. center as well.

regards,

Bert.

p.s. Sorry that I'm not able to post anything, as I don't have a scanner...