Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery photograph location please

heatherannej

Hello All.  This is a long shot but it is better to post here than not, just in case anyone can help.

I am trying to help a Frenchman who is trying to help an acquaintance determine the location in the attached photo!  On the back is written "nord de la France" but northern France locals do not think it is their area at all and, when I looked at it, I agreed.  I thought of Scotland (?) and it is bugging me - I have permission to post it here.  I have not seen the whole of the photo because it does not belong to the person I am helping.  I asked for a closeup of the sign but it is poor and I doubt if anyone can improve it but it holds a clue, I am sure, as does the backdrop. The two soldiers' wagon is carrying a coffin.  Any help will be passed on to France.  Thank you very much in advance.

WW1_Mystery_CloseUp.jpg

WW1_Mystery.jpg

• Admin

Or maybe Ireland. 

33 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

I would agree that it looks like Scotland

7 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Or maybe Ireland. 

Thanks to both of you. I am glad both places seem to be recognisable.  Ireland was my second thought.  I have lost count of the key words I have used to search for online images but nothing yet.  Thanks again.

• Admin

Try this, it sometimes works. I can't do it myself at the moment.

Take a snip image of just the tower then do a Google image search of it.

Google will search all the images on the net and provide you with a list of similar images. If you see an image that is similar or identical, then click on that image/site to obtain a description of it, which could well tell you where it is.

No harm in trying !

15 minutes ago, RussT said:

Take a snip image of just the tower then do a Google image search of it.

Google will search all the images on the net and provide you with a list of similar images. If you see an image that is similar or identical, then click on that image/site to obtain a description of it, which could well tell you where it is.

No harm in trying !

I've heard of this being done, RussT ... I will look into how to do it. Heather

4 minutes ago, heatherannej said:

Thanks RussT ... I have sussed how to do it ... much appreciated. Heather

There seems to be writing on a sign behind the two men, but the resolution is too low to decipher it (or confirm it actually ís writing)

WW1_Mystery.jpg.94c6cb7c8be998d550b71b259db7b929.jpg.069276b536c4c659d138d75b014963d2.jpg

6 minutes ago, JWK said:

I asked the French for a close-up and that smaller close-up image is the best he could do, sadly.  It is a shame because it could solve the mystery! Heather

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Are both men wearing full medals under their bandoliers?

I will ask if that can be seen, charlie962 ...

Just now, RussT said:

The telegraph pole design will I expect be specific to the country of origin

I have already asked that Society, RussT  ... how amazing is it - a Telegraph Pole Appreciation Society!  I am waiting for a reply.   I did the same searching, with no joy either but your tip was great though and I will know how to do it from now on.  Thanks for trying and thanks your help. 

1 hour ago, RussT said:

The Telegraph Pole Appreciation Society - What it says

I have heard from the excellent telegraph pole expert.  I have paraphrased his reply.  He says "everything about that photo says UK.  It's a British pattern pole and arm arrangement."  He could not quite see the insulators very clearly but he says they look like standard G.P.O. ceramics.  He agrees the military uniforms are British as are the buildings.  He thinks crenellations and stepped gables both suggest Scotland.  This is the opinion of the single most important person in the world of Telegraph Pole Appreciation!

• Admin
3 minutes ago, heatherannej said:

This is the opinion of the single most important person in the world of Telegraph Pole Appreciation!

Can't ask for much more than that!

Yes, it's amazing - it makes no difference how obscure the subject matter, there will always be a few bods around who get together to form an interest group!

17 hours ago, heatherannej said:

the world of Telegraph Pole Appreciation!

Only in Britain :D

As RussT said 

17 hours ago, RussT said:

it makes no difference how obscure the subject matter, there will always be a few bods around who get together to form an interest group!

:D

4 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Well done. You must be one of those pole afficionados ?

'Fraid not - sad, but not that sad!   Believe it  or not I Googled (images) 'house with stepped gables and crenalated round stone tower with windows'  the initial images didn't give a result but using, 'The rest of the results might not be what you're looking for. See more anyway'  was more fruitful.

NigelS

Well done NigelS -- I gave up after looking at dozens and dozens of images. Never thought about  'The rest of the results might not be what you're looking for. See more anyway'

3 hours ago, NigelS said:

How about Stanley House, Holyhead, Anglesey https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3734659 - Seems to fit the bill

NigelS

Given how little of the original photo we could see that's a real triumph!