Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question regarding the book "The Maharaja's Paltans"

Charaina

Hello all,

I was curious if the book The Maharaja's Paltans has information about the uniforms of the various contingents of the Indian Princely States. Thanks in advance for any information!

Welcome to the forum. 

Are you promoting the book?

Goodreads says this:

The Maharajas' Paltans: A History of the Indian State Forces (1888–1948): Part I

Richard Head

pioneering and comprehensive volume on the history of the Indian State Forces provides hitherto unknown information on battle and campaign honors, awards won by the Forces, as well as maps, color plates, and detailed notes on uniforms and insignia. At the time of India’s independence there were some 560 Princely States, of which 58 maintained armed forces to a standard fit for use in the defense of India if needed. These states chose to join the Imperial Service Troops scheme, established in the late 1880s and lasting until 1920, and then the Indian State Forces scheme that took over in 1920 and continued through to 1947. The detailed history of each, and even more local forces outside of the two schemes, is covered in this thorough reference that is primed to be the top authority on Indian State Forces history.

1122 pages, Hardcover

First published January 1, 2013

No, no promotions. I just found out about this book recently and was curious if anyone who has it or has seen it could let me know how detailed the uniform info is.