Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Theodore Roosevelt Division

Stellan Bojerud

What is known of the GB-US Theodore Roosevelt Division?

• 1 month later...

Stellan,

Various sources states that Roosevelt strongly favoured the intervention in the Great War. However, Roosevelt became deeply disappointed at Woodrow Wilson's refusal to allow him to raise and lead a volunteer division.

Regards

Arthur

• 3 months later...

Theodore Roosevelt May 18th 1917 wrote to President Woodrow Wilson: I respectfully ask permission to raise two divisions for immediate service at the front under the bill wich has just became law ---.

Wilson´s note to Roosevelt informing him that his help would not be required was perhaps the greatest disappointment he had ever suffered.

post-6668-1127199167.jpg

Hi Stellan,

In fairness to Wilson, he really couldn't allow a former US president take the field as a division commander. Imagine the propaganda value if he was captured by the Germans! Roosevelt was also getting on in years and physically in decline.

Take care,

Neil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest British Sapper

'Teddy' Roosevelt would have been like his relative Franklin. The consummate politician's that they were. They don't really mean that THEY will go to war. They send other suckers to fight and die.

FDR told lies about keeping the USA out of WW2, even though he was working to get the USA into WW2 all the time. That was his major re-election pledge 'No more European wars for the USA'. He was in contact with Churchill in secret (former naval person), to promote a World war against Germany. Read about Tyler Kent, a US cypher messenger at the US Embassy in London at the time. Chamberlain was the PM at that time, but was kept in the dark of Roosevelts dealings with the 'UK war party'/Churchill, in 1938/1939, even though it was via UK/US Top Secret diplomatic channels. And this from a guy who was a cripple, but this was kept secret from the USA/UK masses too.

The same is true today of certain politicians, who are wanting war, but they don't go, and neither do their children.

'Teddy' Roosevelt would have been like his relative Franklin. The consummate politician's that they were. They don't really mean that THEY will go to war. They send other suckers to fight and die.

Do you know anything about Teddy Roosevelt?

San Juan Hill? Raised his own volunteer unit just so he could fight?

I always suspected Hitler had something to do with the World War against Germany, I guess you learn something here everday!

Neil

Mate,

I also got to disagree with your last shot at poly's and their relations.

Its the kind of glib remark we don't need.

Michael Moore made the same about US poly's and Iraq without informing that a number of there son's and relations had and did serve.

Now as to British Poly's I don't know but how many have son's or relations in the services?

I think the well known Royal that served in a war and now would they let William go? I believe he mention he would if allowed. But what a target of any nut with a bomb, wouldn't want to be in his Troop.

So let's not go into this us and them road please.

Cheers

S.B

Where did the turn in this thread go? TR sending other men to fight? Hardly ... any analysis of this man would show this to be totally false. TR's father purchased an exemption from the ACW and thus shamed TR his whole life ... While TR attitude did darken with the death of his son in WWI ... he was pro-war and pro-involvment, frankly called Wilson some choice names when Wilson didn't go earlier ...

Wilson would have been a fool to let TR lead anything ... can you imagine how Pershing would have kept him in line? LG/DH? the French!!!!!

Anyway ... in regards to the current things mentioned ... it has been my contention that wars would not take place if we drafted rich old men first.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest British Sapper
Mate,

I also got to disagree with your last shot at poly's and their relations.

Its the kind of glib remark we don't need.

Michael Moore made the same about US poly's and Iraq without informing that a number of there son's and relations had and did serve.

Now as to British Poly's I don't know but how many have son's or relations in the services?I think the well known Royal that served in a war and now would they let William go? I believe he mention he would if allowed. But what a target of any nut with a bomb, wouldn't want to be in his Troop.

So let's not go into this us and them road please.

Cheers

S.B

Sorry mate,

but if you say as you do above, and which I have changed to bold type in your message.

Why are you arguing if you don't know what you are arguing about ?

Maybe I have got it wrong. And your 'glib remark' statement is a bit of a cliche without foundation isn't it ?

Guest British Sapper
Do you know anything about Teddy Roosevelt?

San Juan Hill? Raised his own volunteer unit just so he could fight?

I always suspected Hitler had something to do with the World War against Germany, I guess you learn something here everday!

Neil

How old was TR at the time of San Juan Hill ?

Teddy was about 305 when he suggested going to war in WW1 !

Come on.

It's dead easy to declare war if you don't have to go. Politicians might seem thick, but they aren't all numbsculls.

Both Tony Blair and 'Dubya' Bush have children old enough to fight in Iraq, as an example.

Guest British Sapper

[quote=AndyHollinger,Oct 3 2005, 11:51 AM]

Where did the turn in this thread go? TR sending other men to fight? Hardly ... any analysis of this man would show this to be totally false. TR's father purchased an exemption from the ACW and thus shamed TR his whole life ... While TR attitude did darken with the death of his son in WWI ... he was pro-war and pro-involvment, frankly called Wilson some choice names when Wilson didn't go earlier ...

It sounds rather like Teddy was a bit of a warmonger really doesn't it ?

Just what were his reasons for being so warmongerlike ?