Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gas attack! Chemical Warfare 1915-1918 by William Moore

David_Blanchard

I am trying to find an article quoted in William Moore’s book on Chemical Warfare (1987) by

The Reverend Owen Spencer Watkins concerned with the gas attack on Hill 60 on 1st May 1915.

I include  page 52. There is a similar article in the British Newspaper archive about this attack but it is different to Watkin’s  account in Moore’s book.

There is an bibliography in Moore’s book but none of the references appears to be appropriate.

It would seem that many articles by Rev. Watkins appeared first in The Methodist Recorder and was then syndicated in other newspapers. 

Any help with tracking down the source would be most appreciated. 

David 

D0A14198-DBF3-4AD3-9783-113369CA8BE0.jpeg.a8be757e56ee010880fffde5b4f638e4.jpeg 

David

There is a report in the Times 07/05/1915, and also the same report in the Scotsman of the same date (p 7), where an un named Officer is quoted after his visit to a hospital to see the gas casualties of Hill 60. This may be the article in the Archive that you refer to.

Brian

David

There is no mention of Owen Watkins in the report but I did a search on his name in the 1915 Newspaper Archive via FMP. There are a number of references to him and his book "With the French in France and Flanders" published by Charles H Kelly. 

I think the volume you need is "The Methodist Recorder". 

The Ealing Gazette and West Middlesex Observer (Owen Watkins lived in Ealing) 07/08/1915 has an article taken from the current issue of the Methodist Recorder of how Owen Watkins observed the British mine at Hill 60 being fired at 7 pm 17/04/1915. He was on the top of the Asylum ( presumably Ypres). 

I attach this article from the Ealing Gazette 14/08/1915 p 6 courtesy British Newspaper Archive. Again it refers to the Methodist Recorder. (apologies for my phone camera but the page downloads as a pdf). Not the full article but I did get the para starting May 2nd.

Brian

003.JPG

002.JPG

Hi Brian,

I was thinking along the same lines- The Methodist Recorder has a twitter account which I have just messaged to ask about accessing their archive.

And thanks for the article which I downloaded a while back. 

David 

Edited by David_Blanchard