Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Regiments/Abbreviations Help.

Monsoon

So. What the title says. I'm looking for a decent source of the abbreviations to Canadian ww1-2 regiments. Doing this to identify some markings on a bayonet end, though I still would rather get some help with research and find the answer myself instead of asking for the answer.

I'll insert a photo here of the manufacturer and date. Seems to me like 1918 dated, but not sure if it's an 08 or 18. 

587297BB-DB57-436C-85D2-5310293363E0.jpeg.daebef13a373ca7dcf311f64b2cc6e33.jpeg

If I still can't find anything or more images are requested, I'll post more.

Thank you in advance.

Monsoon,

Welcome to the Forum.

There are two giveaways that this is dated '18 rather than '08, namely:

1) the royal cypher under beneath the crown, GR (Georgius V Rex), rather than ER (Edwardius VII Rex),

and

2) the maker's name is given as WILKINSON / PALL MALL; the Pall Mall was only added in '04/'05 of 1916.

I believe that somebody on the forum has such a listing of abbreviations of Canadian regiments, because this question has arisen previously and been answered.

However, the list has never been shared, as far as I can remember.

If you can find such a list, that would help all of us!

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
typo

JMB1943 & Monsoon

Ian Skennerton's book, "The Broad Arrow Mk2" has 7 pages covering abbreviations of Canadian regimental markings ect., so I may be able to help when we see what is stamped on the bayonet.

Cheers,

TR

Edited by t.ryan

Sadly none of those abbreviations correspond with what my bayonet has. 

I've looked at many Canadian military abbreviations with no luck. Person I got it from said they had to dive through a lot of hoops to actually identify it.

Definitely don't mind that it's 1918 dated. Perfectly corresponds to my 1918 BSA manufactured SMLE with a Canadian approval stamp and various Italian acceptance stamps. It's a bit of a mixmaster but I might post it here, even if it isn't strictly WW1.

Are there any online version of Ian's "Broad Arrow" book?

Thanks in advance.

12 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Are there any online version of Ian's "Broad Arrow" book?

No. There is not. You will have to shell out the $70 or post the stamping here so someone can help you.

A couple of unusual Canadian regiments that stick in my mind include Fort Garry Horse & Lord Strathcona’s Horse.

Regards,

JMB

JMB

Your mind is good.

L.S.H. Lord Strathcona's Horse (R.C.) Permanent Force

F.G.H. The Fort Gary Horse, Non Permanent Force Cavalry

are both included in the Canadian section of Ian's book so there may be something in there to help Monsoon if he has more information on his bayonet.

Cheers,

TR

This LAC document provides information regarding war diary entries but includes a lot of abbreviations as well and may help.

Cheers,

https://deserontoarchives.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/lac-cenotaph-research-guide.pdf

And this link to the LAC website provides a very detailed listing of all abbreviations: https://library-archives.canada.ca/eng/collection/research-help/military-heritage/Pages/military-abbreviations.aspx#alpha-R

Edited by cheeseman64

8 hours ago, t.ryan said:

JMB

Your mind is good.

L.S.H. Lord Strathcona's Horse (R.C.) Permanent Force

F.G.H. The Fort Gary Horse, Non Permanent Force Cavalry

Mr Ryan,

I’ll take that compliment to the bank!

Regards,

JMB

18 minutes ago, cheeseman64 said:

This LAC document provides information regarding war diary entries but includes a lot of abbreviations as well and may help.

Cheers,

https://deserontoarchives.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/lac-cenotaph-research-guide.pdf

Mr Cheeseman64,

Thanks for posting that VERY informative website.

Regards,

JMB

Seems like this search is tougher than expected. I'll go ahead and send an image of the markings. I can't find anything regarding this on any abbreviation lists.

This is my first bayonet I've ever bought, so I'm not exactly well versed in bayonets.

EAEDF01D-7BF4-4E5F-91E1-ED7765447ECA.jpeg

9F9B3B17-D91A-43A4-B786-3AFAD252DAEA.jpeg

R. Q = Royal Quebec???

Just a guess, so you may want to check WIKI to see whether such a regiment exists/ existed.

Regards,

JMB

Edit: Does the bayonet actually bear a "broad arrow inside C" marking to indicate Canadian govt. ownership???

Edited by JMB1943
typo

Page 124 of The Broad Arrow (MkI) lists R.Q. as “Le Regiment du Quebec” under Military District No. 5.

14 minutes ago, DisasterDog said:

Page 124 of The Broad Arrow (MkI) lists R.Q. as “Le Regiment du Quebec” under Military District No. 5.

Alright. I saw that regiment a few times on my search. Is there a difference between 'Le Regiment de Quebec' and 'Le Voltigeurs de Quebec'?

18 minutes ago, DisasterDog said:

Are they well-known as the Vingt-douze ?? The 22nd Battalion of Infantry.

Regards,

JMB

22 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

It does on the other side of the bayonet. I can get a picture of it if you'd like?

If you have seen it, no need!

Regards,

JMB

1 hour ago, DavidOwen said:

Not sure if it will help but this is my go to Canadian (and general military) abbreviations list http://cmhs.ca/index.php/leftmenu-abbreviations

David,

Thanks for posting--that looks like the list to end all lists!

Regards,

JMB