Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mesopotamia service? East Lancs Regiment and Royal Field Artillery

seaJane

I find two men with the same name from these regiments, no indication on their MICs of theatre of war or date first entered (both awarded British War Medal, Victory Medal, no Star). Depending on their battalion they might both have been out in Mesopotamia or Aden, but I can't see the battalion on their MICs.

Is there anywhere on the MIC (service number, other annotation?) that would indicate battalion?

They are both HARMAN, William R.

(There is another Harman, William R from the 6 battn East Surreys who I know about and does not need checking - happy to display MICs if wished.)

• Admin

MICs very rarely quote a man's battalion because that information was not needed for the issuing of his medals.

Battalions are often, although not always, provided on Medal Rolls.

The RFA did not have Battalions, they had Batteries (in Brigades). These, or sometimes the Brigade, are sometimes provided on those Medal Rolls.

You did not provide for some reason these two men's service numbers.

I can find a William R Harman in the East Lancs - he was 10788. His Medal Roll reveals he served overseas with the 2/4th and 1/5th Battalions. You can use the LLT to discover where those Battalions were deployed.

Regards

Russ

• Admin

Then there is a William R Harman 195992 in the RFA - his medal roll does not provide his Battery/Brigade I'm afraid.

But he does have a service record. He was ex ASC. I can only see service on the Western Front. He ended up in B/331 Brigade RFA.

Regards

Russ

2 hours ago, RussT said:

You did not provide for some reason these two men's service numbers.

A sheer lapse in competence on my part! My apologies.

The East Lancs man was indeed 10788. I will check the battalions in the LLT

[Edit after looking at Forces War Records: 2/4th home service or Western Front, 1/5th moved to Alexandria 17.01.1916 and in Mar 1917 to France - I think that rules them out of being in the Persian Gulf in 1917 which is the location I have been given].

And the RFA man was 195992, so if the Western Front only service is correct, that's him out of the reckoning.

Very many thanks.

seaJane

Edited by seaJane
adding update