Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Translation of AIR76 entry for Marsden, Albert Edward

Errol Martyn

Hello,

Would anyone here be able to explain what the abbreviations are and what they stand for on the second entry on this AIR76 (I'm aware that DAP = Department of Aircraft Production).

TIA,

Errol

Marsden,A E - AIR76 entry.png

Edited by Errol Martyn

10 Group was originally formed at Calshot but, as quemerford has noted, there's a reference to Air Ministry. This would align with the July 1919 date on the file, e.g. 10 Group was transferred from No.2 Area/SW Area to the Air Ministry as 10 (Operations) Group. I can't think of any naval unit with an RA[I]D acronym. 

However, the following document suggests many reshuffles and reorganisations between Nos. 10 and 29 Groups in 1919/20.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation/units/air-historical-branch/second-world-war-campaign-narratives/raf-in-maritime-war-vol-i-the-atlantic-and-home-waters-the-prelude-april-1918-september-1939/ 

Thanks Gents.

Marsden was an AID man who, according to the London Gazette, was appointed to an honorary commission with Aeronautical Inspection Department/Directorate as Lieutenant as Assistant Inspector, on 4 Sep 18.

The last three letters under the DAP entry could be AID, but then that raises the question of what does the R stand for?

Or perhaps the last four letters are RAFO (for Reserve of Air Force Officers) but I don't know when the RAFO was formed or how it would fit with Marsden's career.

He was posted to the Unemployed List on 15 Jan 20 but remained with the Air Ministry as an inspector until at least 1946.

Errol