Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers

Mark Hone

I am beginning detailed research on the war service of the 1/5th, 2/5th and 3/5th LF, as an offshoot of my study of the Bury Grammar School boys who served in the Great War. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has personal or other links with these battalions. Unfortunately a lot of the detailed paperwork of 5th Battalion went up in smoke (literally) after a Home Guard training accident at the Castle Armoury TA headquarters in Bury in 1942. Nevertheless I am planning to use war diaries, newspaper accounts etc to reconstruct the story, elements of which I have already covered on various of my battlefield tours.

I sent an e-mail to the TF study group but it bounced back. Is it still in being? Also can someone remind me of the 55th Division expert who does WFA talks? I did know his name but it has slipped from my memory.

Of course. He used to contribute occasionally to this forum, but no longer does so as far as I can tell. He got in touch with me when I was planning my '2/5th at Ypres' walk a couple of years ago and did give me some useful information on the 'phone. Incidentally I'd like to thank you once again, Ken, for all the info you sent me in connection with that walk. I used one of your trench maps, with annotations, as a handout which we followed on the ground. I have since discovered that Lt. T.H. Floyd, whose first-hand account I used in conjunction with the map, was an old boy of Bury Grammar School.

Mark,

Good Luck with your new project.

cheers Shelley:D

I am beginning detailed research on the war service of the 1/5th, 2/5th and 3/5th LF, as an offshoot of my study of the Bury Grammar School boys who served in the Great War. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has personal or other links with these battalions. Unfortunately a lot of the detailed paperwork of 5th Battalion went up in smoke (literally) after a Home Guard training accident at the Castle Armoury TA headquarters in Bury in 1942. Nevertheless I am planning to use war diaries, newspaper accounts etc to reconstruct the story, elements of which I have already covered on various of my battlefield tours.

I sent an e-mail to the TF study group but it bounced back. Is it still in being? Also can someone remind me of the 55th Division expert who does WFA talks? I did know his name but it has slipped from my memory.

Shelley-Did you find any extra info on the Borrey Farm battle? I will let you know what I come across during my research.

Shelley-At the start of my research I have managed to uncover a copy of the 1/5th Battalion War Diary, which had been misidentified in the Local History catalogue of Bury Library. Don't think it gives any more details of the Borrey Farm attack than in the official LF history, but nevertheless very interesting. Do you have a photo of your relative Dixon Entwistle? I have a feeling that his obituary would probably have appeared in the Rossendale Free Press (or its ancestor) rather than The Bury Times, whose obituaries I am photographing.