Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mercantile Marine

GRAZ

Hi All

I've just bought a Mercantile Marine pair named to John.J.Barratt, who came from Everton, Liverpool. Can anybody advise me on how to research him, or know anything about him, as I'm not too sure what resources are available. I've checked the CWGC and he wasn't a casualty. I don't normally collect Merchant Navy medals, so a bit out of my depth ( forgive the pun ) with these.

Any information much appreciated 

Graham

Graham

I can find no John J Barratt with an "A" in the rolls for the award of a pair to a Merchant Seaman, there are other Barratts but not John.

Two men of the name John James BarrEtt can be found and they are the only ones with the J J initials so possibilities as both of them come from Liverpool, both were Firemen.  One found by David born 1889 Discharge Book number 629763 the other 1895, Disch Book Number 926178 (incorrectly noted on his MIC as 926170).  

If you know he was born in Liverpool, do you know anything else about him which might narrow it down? 

The information you are looking for can be found in the Medals to Merchant Seamen in Ancestry and British Merchant Seaman Records 1918 - 1941 available on Findmypast, these are Identity Cards and a CR10 Card with photo and list of some ships served on after the war are available. The 1915 Crewlists might have some information which I haven't found up to now.

I'm afraid the lack of information on medals issued to Merchant Seamen make them quite hard to pin down to an individual at times.

Tony

Thanks for the help David and Tony. Tony my chaps the one mentioned by David, I have Barretts medal envelope that has Morelands St on it

Graham

• Admin

I noticed it said Everton which made me think it could be him.

Tony, did either have a reference to SS Arabic in their records as there is a 1912 Liverpool Workhouse admission for a 23 year old John Barrett in 1912 with that given as his address (and an uncle in Ireland) https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FLIVERPOOL%2F004633750%2F00580&parentid=PRS%2FLIVERPOOL%2FWORKHOUSE%2F0951630 

Good, you've found the right one that's quite lucky particularly with a common surname.

I can put him on the ORONSA of the PSNCo from 29.11.1911 to 6.3.1912, so not sure why he would be in the workhouse in Sep 1912 he gives his next of kin as Mary Bird,  Sister on his CR10 Identity Card of 1918 onwards so the Irish Uncle you suggest David probably makes him a different man I think. Haven't as yet found a John Barrett on the ARABIC of White Star Line but records are sparse for Merchant Seamen

Can't find him in the 1915 Crew lists but from 1918 to 1921 he is gainfully employed on various ships of different companies, so he has no particular allegiance to one company as many seamen did have.  Interestingly his first three ships from 1918 are run by the British Government, the Shipping Controller and were War Prizes from Germany.

Tony

Edited by MerchantOldSalt