Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Saltpeter in rations

Felix C

I recall reading that Saltpeter was introduced into rations to reduce libido. I believe sodium nitrate and potassium nitrate are typically used as preservatives. The former still in deli meats, bacon, sausage,etc.  Is the statement correct regarding reduce sex drive?

Mate,

I don'y know about you, but these stories have been around since Jerus worn short pants and played full back for Jerusalem.

I heard the same stories as all old soldiers have.

How true I don't know, but I heard that there was a gain of truth that something was added, but not what it was.

Mate while with the UN we eat rations from a number of countries, and some were better then others.

British and Yanks rats were close to ours, but the German, French, Dutch, Paki and others from Spain, Indo, Swedish, Finnish, Turkish and Malay not to leave out Dannes?

But did their food stop me thinking about the other thing?

Well no, but during the time it was not a thing I was thinking about when being shot at.

S.B

4 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

but the German, French, Dutch, Paki and others from Spain, Indo, Swedish, Finnish, Turkish and Malay not to leave out Dannes?

but what?

I recall reading many years ago that Bromide was given to Victorian children to calm them down.

I don't think that it would have been wise to feed this sedative to military personnel, so all this suppression of libido stuff is probably just a myth.

Please be aware that I have no medical knowledge and very little common sense.

• 2 weeks later...

A propos...'thought you might appreciate an old cartoon of mine which was published in the Sixth Sense Newspaper in 2002 (copyright is mine!).

image.jpeg.6d967cf696a4929aa05946624b7d64f0.jpeg