Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TRYING TO PLAN A TRIP (Somme '06)

jdajd

For my 30th birthday, 12/15/05 (or 15/12/05 for our European friends) my wife has agreed to send me to the Somme for around 5 days. I would like to do it in July '06 to be there for the 90th anniversary. I know it will be crowded, but if I am only able to make one trip I think this would be a special time to do it. I have some places that I would like to visit ie Serre and High Wood, but would appreciate other suggestions. I have basically no idea how to begin planning this from getting there (I assume Paris is the closest int. airport), where to stay, guides etc. Additionally, I would love to meet some of the people from this site, if any are going, and I guess would like to have some sort of relationship prior. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try to start planning this as soon as possible to avoid missing out on places to stay. Look forward to speaking with people about this and I hope I can make this work. Thanks in advance.

Jon

Jon,

I'm sure you will have a memorable visit - there are plenty of sites to see, allow yourself lots of time, but book early for accommodation in the area - i'm sure a number of the places will be full up already.

It's very easy to get too by car, flying via Paris is not the quickest route if you live in the Southern half of the UK.

Paul Reed will be able to provide you with all of the info that you need - make sure that you have a copy of his book "Walking the Somme" with you as it will add a lot to your visits to the various sites.

Jon,

Are you following any specific regiment that perhaps a relative of yours was involved with...or are you after more of a general overview?

I'd go along with Rob and definitely recommend Paul Reed's book and/or Martin Middlebrook's "The Somme Battlefields" if you can get your hands on a copy. The Holt's guides are good as well and also come with a handy, stand alone map (at least they used to). I'd get 'em before you go and plan your itinery.

If it's your first time I'd add either Beaumont Hamel and/or Vimy Ridge to your list (to get some impression of the battlefield as they were). I'd also recommend some walks around Mametz Wood. Also check out the museums at Albert and Perrone- they are very different from each other but equally interesting I find.

As far as where to stay, there has been plenty of discussion on the forum. You might want to use the Search facility. Albert, Arras, Peronne are worth checking for hotels, or you could rent yourself a nice Gites on the battlefields. B&B is another option. Personally, I like to stay in Arras as it offers a little more in the way of restuarants and bars for post-battlefield walks and I don't mind that it's a relatively short drive down to the Somme battlefields- and Vimy Ridge etc are right on your doorstep. But that's just me.

I'd go along with Rob and recommend driving down to the battlefields if I were you (and if you can)-it's a simple trip across and roughly a couple of hours to the Somme battlefields from Calais (ferry or tunnel).

Anyway- this is all spits and spots of information- hope you have a great time.

mark

Jon

I'm slightly confused by your use of 12/15/05 as your date of birth. That is the North American way of writing the date and your mention of Paris as the nearest , International, airport suggests you are not within driving distance of the Somme; i.e you do not live in a European Union country.

If that is the case then, yes, Paris is your nearest airport. You will, presumably, get a hire car and drive up; it doesn't take long from Paris. If you look at http://www.avrilwilliams.com you can book bed and breakfast with evening meal at a reasonable price. Many Forum members will know this place and can give comments on it. I find it convenient as it is near many of the places people like to see on the first, and possibly only, visit to the Somme.

I would certainly recommend booking early as many people book from one year to the next simply for 1 July. That way they can take in the ceremonies at Lochnagar, Thiepval, Newfoundland Park etc.

One more book to add to your list is Before Endeavours Fade by Rose Coombs; I never travel without it. You might even consider the Holts Guides if you can manage them.

Hope that helps

Garth

Thanks to those above who recommended Walking The Somme: as someone else mentioned, I would try and get Martin Middlebrook's Somme Battlefields, which is the best Somme guide in my opinion, and Gerald Gliddon's When The Barrage Lifts which will help fill in some of the historical info on each site. You best place to get both of these is Abebooks.

There is some info on my website at:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/somme_1916.htm

However, this summer I will be launching a new Somme website which I am working on at the moment, which will have much more info on it.

In terms of accommodation, I always try and recommend places owned and run by the French people who live in the area: in that respect I would heartily recommend Bernafay Wood, where you will get a first class reception from Christine & Jean-Pierre Matte. They both speak good English, and Jean-Pierre used to be the curator at the Albert museum.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me an email.

Although it may be booked for 1 July 06 I started this thread on the Royal Picardie(here) for just this type of thread. Hope it helps, and no doubt you'll have a great trip! Andy

Hi Jon

The Somme Tourism Board have an excellent website

www.somme-battlefields.com

It gives great info on planning your trip, where to stay, basically everything you need to know for a first time visit.

Memorials, Circuit of Remembrance, Cemeteries, Museums, Maps, Guidebooks, Brochures, Tourist Offices, Calendar of events, and much, much more.

Enjoy your trip!

sunflower :rolleyes:

I cannot thank everyone enough for the help they have given. I am constantly amazed at how accommodating and helpful people on this site are. In addition to the info above I have gotten a personal email giving me possible places to stay. As some of you have figured out I am in fact American and therefore do not have the luxury of a) being able to pop over the Continent for a weekend or B) a mandatory two week(+/-) vacation every summer. I have to budget my vacation days so I can spend some vacation time with my wife probably in a tropical locale. Therefore my trip will probably not be for more than 5 or 6 days and I have to spend it as best as I can. While I would really love to be there for whatever ceremony will take place on July 1 I will probably go two weeks later for the anniversary of the dawn attack on the Bazentins.

I guess this is where my interest lies most. As an American with no real attachment to the war ie no family who fought my interests come from the books that I read. As many may know WWI is not a very popular war in America in terms of books sold. In fact I definitely have more books on the subject then any of the Barnes and Nobles or Borders where I live (New York City so you can imagine there are a lot). Therefore, I buy books as I find them almost catch as catch can. I have read Terry Norman’s The Hell they Called High Wood several times, which has lead me to focus on the 1/9 (Glasgow) HLI and just finished Terry Carter’s book on the Birmingham Pals so I think that this area of the battlefield would be best for me (High Wood-Delville Wood). I would also want to be there for any type of ceremony commemorating the HLI’s attack on High Wood.

I think I am rambling so I will sign off now, but thank you again. I think the next year of planning will be a pretty exciting time and I hope that everything works out.

If you are interested in 1/9 HLI do you have Alex Aitken's Courage Remembered? He was the chap who built the 1/9th HLI Memorial cairn, and the book charts his father's experiences in the wood. Good maps too. Long out of print, and last one I saw was about £50.

Every year the flags are put in place on this memorial on the anniversary of the attack. I have no reason to think it won't be done in 2006.

Alex Aitken's Courage Remembered is in a reprint version and available on Abe Books fairly cheaply

BTW, Paul, hope to see you in 2006 around 14th July if all goes well. Unless you are going to Oz for your holidays :D

Peter

Jon,

Good luck with the trip and here is another recommendation for Paul's book. As a quick bit of advice I would certainly plan a couple of days whirlwind driving around the main sites, memorials and museums but do ensure to also leave a couple of days where you just park the car, take a book and a map and a packed lunch and really follow a part of the battlefield on foot.

It is very easy to try and pack in every single 'big' attraction and not really get a feel for the ground. Quite often a concentrated exploration of a small action or area is far more rewarding. Pick a walk or two from Paul's book and take in the tranquility and beauty of the Somme countryside while following in the old soldiers footsteps.

I do know about Courage Remembered, but the last time I saw it on Abe Books it was going for $200+, which is a little more then I can spend on a book right now.

While I would really love to be there for whatever ceremony will take place on July 1 I will probably go two weeks later for the anniversary of the dawn attack on the Bazentins.

And I think you're making a good decision. The impressions you get on your first visit to these places never leave you. Quiet reflection as you stand among these significant places for the first time will be far more easy to attain if you go a little later in the month.

Tom

And I think you're making a good decision.  The impressions you get on your first visit to these places never leave you.  Quiet reflection as you stand among these significant places for the first time will be far more easy to attain if you go a little later in the month.

Tom

I agree with Tom entirely.

I will never forget on my first trip standing in a potato field between Maricourt and Montauban and imagining my grandad, Tom Brough, walking past on 1 July 1916. Memorable.

John

Jon

I would heartily recommend Bernafay Wood, where you will get a first class reception from Christine & Jean-Pierre Matte

I agree with Paul Reed's comment on Bernafay Wood (BERNAFAYWOOD@aol.com)

I've stayed there a couple of times, Christine and Jean are friendly and helpful and you're welcome to use their fridge and microwave if you want to 'self cater' (the B&B side of the business is in the old, pre-WWI railway station, they live in a seperate house 100m or so away).

Likewise, Avril Williams offers a good deal and you can get an evening meal there. At both places you'd be likely to bump into fellow pilgrims who'll add considerably to your knowledge and fun.

As to guides - Holt's is a great get you in pack and the map is very helpful. Paul Reed's "Walking the Somme" is, in my opinion, the best bang for your buck book. If your goung exploring a relative's footsteps then you'll almost certainly find the relevant short books in the Battleground Europe series - Naval and Military Press seem to do the best deal on these.

Enjoy.

Chris :D

You could cycle or motorcycle BUT the Somme battlefield is circa 14 miles long and you wont get very far on your two pins.

You could try a taxi but have you ever tried to get a taxi in rural France?

or you could hitch but again, nothing is guaranteed.

Good luck

Martin

Thank you again to everybody who has helped. To those who have emailed me personally I apologize for the lack of response, but it is coming (I know you have been sitting impatiently by your computers ;) ). In addition to the areas mentioned above I am also interested in visiting the Bony area where the 27th (US) Div attacked the Hindenburg line Sept 29, 1918 specifically Quennemont and Guillemont farms and the Knoll. How accessible are the two areas would it be possible to do in one short trip?

:D We always stay at Bernafay. It is clean, friendly , in the middle of where "it" happened and has a great atmosphere.

A great plus is it is run by french people and I believe in putting something back into the local economy.

tony