Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Verdun visit May 2005

channelhopper

A very up to date reply on the Prunellia - I have just returned from a few days in Verdun.

I stayed at the Prunellia, and it was fine as a base. The rooms are basic but OK, and it is right next to the Formule 1 if you want to go for the budget option. The breakfast buffet is plentiful and fresh. I ate in the hotel the first evening I spent there, and I probably wouldn't reccomend it as a dining place - the menu was fialry limited and my main course came with a baked potato still in foil. But as a B&B base - very good. Not a lot of places nearby to eat, and the centre of Verdun is a fair walk, probably one and a half miles.

I ate at the Beausejour (the Italian restaraunt) two nights, and as Christina says it is popular but I got a table without having to book and the food and service was very good. Highly reccomended.

Also, I did visit both "Max" and Camp Marguerre - both are good, but I have to say that Camp Marguerre is without doubt one of the best Great War sites I have visited - it is like a small village of bunkers in various states of repair, and in some of the living quarters there are even wall decorations ( I will post some pictures when I am on the laptop again). The site is one I would put on a must see list even though it is a little bit north of the main Verdun battlefields.

Fort Douamont was also stunning, especially the interior. It wasn't particularly busy when I visited, and it was incredible to walk through the coridors and into the rooms, my footsteps echoing and the stalactites dripping from the ceiling. I didn't see the interior of Fort Vaux, as it was closed when I got there later one evening. The destoyed villages, particularluy Fleury, were also incredibly moving. All in all, a must see battlefield, one I have wanted to visit for a long time and although I packed a lot into 4 days I by no menas saw it all. I did some walking, and the forest is almost spooky it is so silent, with isolated graves, bunkers and trenches along the way.

I was planning to do some mountain biking until I saw the inclines on the roads that lead to the battlefields from Verdun. It would have been great fun coming back down, if I had been able to manage the ride up!

Any questions just let me know.

Alan

Another hotel worth trying in the Verdun area is the Hotel de la Sirène in Etain. Although a little way off the main battlefield - Etain is 14 km north of Verdun - it's worth considering, as parking is very easy - right outside - and it's close to Camp Marguerre and the gun site at Duzey (the Long Max gun pit). The manager speaks enough English to make a booking. It's pleasant and quiet and the rooms are comfortable. It's been a very fine place with it's own tennis courts and no doubt when Etain was a busy garrison town it was the grand place in the area. The hotel is big enough to take a coach load of visitors, the food is good and the menu prices very decent.

During WWI the Sirène was turned into a concrete shelter for the use - apparently - of the Crown Prince. A huge concrete blast wall was erected in front of the hotel, none of which remains. There are postcards of it and a painting in the front all. I don't know when the wall was demolished.

Christina