Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed with book inscription.

Dave66

Hello all,

A copy of “Torpedo Drill Book 1914” has found its way into my collection, it has an interesting inscription which someone has partly erased, so would greatly appreciate the forums help in deciphering the text.. the one bit that I can see is Electrician. There is also something on the edge of the leaves, looks like ends in ….TER?

Needs fresh eyes.

Thanks for looking,

Dave.

7A60E427-82F4-4E3D-A9E0-85E4567ADA6D.jpeg

FC0D55A2-E1DD-40E5-B2FD-57B11A65ADED.jpeg

I’m wondering if the last three letters relate to rank?..C E A. Was there a Chief Electrical Artificer??

Dave.

Possibly Staff on the edge of book.  Also could be A Stock CEA electricians shop - maybe?!

A bit of photoshopping doesn't get you much further than a clearish S, illegible intervening letters, and then possibly an F. If there is a last letter (another F?), it's hard to distinguish from the paper stains. 

edit 2.jpg

Thank you both for taking the time to have a look and reply,

I had wondered if it was A Stock C.E.A., but wasn’t sure so very relieved someone else has supported that theory, but I hadn’t considered STAFF…, and Shop does seem the most logical so problem solved. I will do some digging into A Stock when I have a little more free time during the winter.

Dave.

56 minutes ago, Grovetown said:

EA was Electrical Artificer and CEA was Chief Electrical Artificer.

I'd vote for 'shop' too.

Cheers,

GT.

Thanks for that Grovetown,

much appreciated.

Dave.

What happens if you lay the book the other way up? Do the letters on the fore-edge become initials A [E?] S for A E? St--k?

Edited by seaJane
(see below)

I have a possible, but I'm not entirely sure. How about Adolphus Edward Stark, born 7 January 1880 in Newport, Isle of Wight? His record mostly says ERA of one grade or another, but right at the foot is the remark "Promoted to Acting Artificer Engineer 1.1.1913" which tallied with 1 Jan 13 being crossed out in the Period of Service column (and annotated "To Off Sec" (??).

I don't think the remark refers to John Darby, part of whose record has been squashed onto the same page.

He has an ADM 188 and an ADM 196 record - I've only looked at the 188. Here are links to them both (downloadable free) https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=adolphus+stark+adm&_p=1900&Refine+dates=Refine

sJ

Evening Jane,

I can’t see stock either way on the fore-edge, but you may well have found a strong contender with Adolphus…I will have a better look after food😀👍.

Many many thanks for your help.

Dave.

Died 2nd October 1917

Art Engnr Adolphus Edward Stark
Death Date: 2 Oct 1917
Cemetery: Portsmouth Naval Memorial
Burial or Cremation Place: Portsmouth, Portsmouth Unitary Authority, Hampshire, England

Edit, died on H.M.S. Drake…..

?id=3041681

H.M.S. Drake, torpedoed by U-79, fascinating history…..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Drake_(1901)

Edited by Dave66