Jump to content

Remembered Today:

Victoria Cross & George Cross Precedence


Ivor Anderson
 Share

Recommended Posts

Interesting to see this stated on a BBC web page today: "The Order of the Garter is the most senior order of knighthood in the United Kingdom and is outranked in the order of precedence only by the Victoria Cross and George Cross."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Interesting to see this stated on a BBC web page today: "The Order of the Garter is the most senior order of knighthood in the United Kingdom and is outranked in the order of precedence only by the Victoria Cross and George Cross."

I think this is because the Order of the Garter can be awarded for anything, but the VC and GC are for gallantry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, healdav said:

I think this is because the Order of the Garter can be awarded for anything, but the VC and GC are for gallantry.

Proper order too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ivor Anderson said:

Proper order too!

Of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a matter of interest, has anyone awarded the VC or GC subsequently been appointed to the Order of the Garter (or, for that matter, the other way round)?

NigelS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NigelS said:

As a matter of interest, has anyone awarded the VC or GC subsequently been appointed to the Order of the Garter (or, for that matter, the other way round)?

Field Marshal "Bob" Roberts would seem to fit the bill - VC for actions in 1858, Knight of the Order of the Garter in 1900/01:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Roberts,_1st_Earl_Roberts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...