Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gas Alarm Rattle???

16thBNCanScotJim

Hello everyone,   I am looking for insights as to the authenticity of an apparent gas alarm rattle circa 1915.   It is for sale in a local shop and marketed as a WWI artifact... but it looks dissimilar to many others I have seen, but the collective knowledge on here will tell me one way or the other.   I know rattles we used at sporting events also so please let me know your thoughts / insights.   Here are the photos;

Thanks  Jim

5BD717D5-DBA6-4657-AAA5-CF6FE7374DB1.jpeg

56A11EE7-F9DE-4500-805C-9E8F5A516F9B.jpeg

2C3DCDD2-6887-48BD-981A-0BB594726B57.jpeg

7D3647B9-4E1A-47FC-A49F-B7607345E51C.jpeg

Edited by 16thBNCanScotJim

I've got one of that type (dated 1918) but without the 2nd handle. Never seen that before.

8 hours ago, 16thBNCanScotJim said:

...I am looking for insights as to the authenticity of an apparent gas alarm rattle circa 1915...

5BD717D5-DBA6-4657-AAA5-CF6FE7374DB1.jpeg

What you have started out life as a "Rattle, Trench, Mark II /L/ Wood." These were only introduced into service in mid/late 1918, but at least one well known faker has been taking originals and restamping them with 1915 dates to make them more "desirable". The main reason these were introduced was because it was found that all-wood construction rattles had a tendency to swell under damp conditions and stop working properly, hence the adoption of metal side-plates instead to help solve the problem. 

These however were only made with one handle, the one on the right in the photo above. Someone has subsequently added the second handle on the left. This actually mimics older style rattles that weren't originally designed to be swung with one hand, but instead the idea was the right handle would be held still in one hand and the second handle turned around it in a circle. Much less hazardous to the health of anyone standing nearby!  

Edited by Andrew Upton

• 2 weeks later...