Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Molenhoek

zijde26

Today, I received an old postcard having as title 'Massengrab auf dem Regimentsfriedhof 247 in Molenhoek ' and showing german graves. A grave is dated 1914.

Does a member knows this ' Molenhoek ? Was it in the ' Ypres salient ' area.

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt :huh:

Hallo Gilbert,

There is a Molenhoek in the Ypres salient that would be a logical place for a 1914 (first battle of Ypres) massgrave. It is situated about 1 km to the NE of Beselare, about 5 km north of the Mening Road, and was situated in the German sector in 1914. Molenhoek was very close to the frontline ( about 1 km) so it would have been a frontline cemetery.

Groetjes uit Oostende,

Gil

Hello,

I recommend you to read the article I wrote about the German cemeteries in Zonnebeke in the magazine 'Het Zonneheem' in June this year. There is all the info you need.

Greetings,

Jan Vancoillie

Your article sounds interesting, Jan. I'm sure everyone on here would find it useful. Any chance of posting a copy on this forum, or my site?

I guess it's written in Flemish? I could probably translate it, and I know you could!

To All,

Thanks for the information. I looked again to that old postcard. It comprises also the following information :

' Hier ruhen 38, am 8.5.1915 auf d. Felde d. Ehre gefallene deutsche Helden v R 247 '

and the names of the german soldiers and their companies.

I would be very interested in receiving a scan (if possible) of the article that was recommended about the German cemeteries in Zonnebeke in the magazine 'Het Zonneheem' in June this year.

Kind regards,

Gilbert Deraedt

:)

Hello,

I have to translate the article in german in the near future, so I will make another translation in english.

But, first things first, I still have a lot of work in Gheluvelt (exhibition etc).

Greetings,

Jan

Jan,

Thanks for translating this article. I am interested in it.

Kind regards,

Gilbert Deraedt :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

This thread sounds really interesting.....

Gilbert - Is there any chance you could add a scan of the post card to this thread?

Jan - Has your article been translated? I would love to read it.

Andy