Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great and exciting find on the English frontline

Flavio

Hi guys, I'm here to present you an exciting discovery made by me and my son Michael in the month of August on the English front line ... Probably a souvenir of some English soldier back from the French campaign and then deployed starting from 1917 in the Asiago plateau ?
German water bottle with its production year 1916
It is up to you now for your comments to be supported by your expertise and knowledge

IMG-20220904-WA0010.jpg

Vaseline lid always found nearby unfortunately 100 years can be seen but with a little lemon juice diluted in water you can still read something

Flavio,

You make some interesting finds, and I always look forward to your photos.

Is the German water-bottle made of aluminium?

Regards,

JMB

What do you say, also in your opinion, the German water bottle near the English front line trench where we found an infinite quantity of English square cans, is it a souvenir of France from some English soldier?

@JMB1943

Flavio,

These unexpected finds are often open to several explanations, and your thoughts are very reasonable and may well be correct.

Those English square cans are presumably for petrol/water deliveries to the troops, so I wonder if your finds are located at a supply dump.

Regards,

JMB

Unfortunately I explained myself badly, forgive me.

As square cans I meant the classic food rations I add the photo of a found with still its can opener key

Flavio,

Yes, I see what you mean and I also misunderstood.

For you to be finding this variety of items, it seems to me quite possible that you have discovered a BEF dump of some kind.

“Guaranteed Pure Tea”——where would Tommy have been without his hot tea!

What do you think is the type of object most commonly found?

Regards,

JMB

So, let's say that in any place frequented by British troops, whether they are trenches, barracks, artillery positions, rear-line commands, the most common object of all is the square box of food.

Moreover, the British area is difficult, full of splinters, therefore very polluted and I assure you that finding interesting things is very difficult that's why when we find some beautiful English object we are very very happy because it is increasingly rare.

@JMB1943

Edited by Flavio

As soon as I can I will open a discussion with everything we have found in English over the years

By the way, what would be the ideal room to post my little British collection?

Edited by Flavio