Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tower Hill Memorial panel photo request

clive_hughes

Hello,

I wonder if any member in or visiting the Tower Hill area of London could do me the favour of taking a photo please?

The panel needed is on Pier 5, at Course 2, Face "I" of that pier according to the original CWGC layout scheme.  Looking at a recently-accessed plan of the Memorial I can only suggest that pier 5 is the one on the south (main road) side - the third main column from the left when looking at it.   What I can't tell is whether they mean the main set of plaques facing the road, or other ones around the sides and internal faces of that pier (advice welcomed).  

The casualty needed is (Able Seaman) Hughes, H. of the Steam Vessel "Hannah Croasdell" of Lancaster; he's towards the top of a panel above his fellow casualty Sealey, A.H.; before the casualties of the "Hanna Larsen" of London commence. 

There's a note on the CWGC website currently that all the WW1 panels are in the process of being "rebronzed" so access might not be possible. 

Many thanks,

Clive

Dave,

Thank you very much for that - nice picture and I've noted the useful site for future reference.   Hughes was allegedly born on Anglesey so is of interest to my project.

One anomaly I'll need to check out is that the website locates the sinking as a mile south of Skokholm Island (off the mouth of Milford Haven), while some other source I used a while back stated it occurred a mile north of The Skerries, (off north-west Anglesey).  

Much obliged,

Clive

Thank you again Dave,

yes, I'd also turned to the wrecksite and the U-boat.net and it seems pretty certain that she was destroyed between Skokholm and St.Ann's Head - I've no idea how The Skerries got into the narrative!  I'd also mis-labelled her as a Steam Vessel, probably because it's what the CWGC website describes her as.    It appears the four men aboard were likely blown to bits along with the ship, no bodies were recovered, and only a nameplate from the ship's boat furnished identification.  

Spurred on, I've also had a look at her 1916 Crew List on the website htpps://1915crewlistsrmg.co.uk  and Hughes aged 21 joined the vessel at Swansea a few months before the sinking.  It didn't furnish his full name but confirmed his birthplace.   I have a (?next of kin) residence of Partington, Trafford, Manchester from somewhere else, but I don't know where - it isn't on my source note sheets.

Clive