Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sarah Hall Shotton VAD

GraemeClarke

Morning,

Whilst interrogating the WWW for anyone linked to Burton-on-Trent to research I came upon

Sarah Hall Shotton VAD

All I could find was 

"Sarah Hall Shotton, VAD, who is buried in Stapenhill Cemetery, 38 Stapenhill Road, Burton on Trent. She was interred on the 5th September 1916 and was aged 62.

Sarah Hall Shotton grave number 2065 section J2 no 6251"

and thats it.

Can anyone add anything else, was she serving when she died etc ?

Many thanks,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

• Admin

The BRC database is still down for maintenance but FMP states

Address Hill St, Stapenhill, Burton on Trent

Engagement date 04/1915

Termination date 08/1916

VAD Red Cross Town Hall Hospital Burton on Trent

Hours worked 36, crossed out, replaced with 64 hours.

My notes (please consider my copyright if used elsewhere).

Sarah Hall Simpson was born in the third quarter 1853 in the Kendal registration district. The 1861 census finds the family living at Highgate, Kendal, Westmorland. Thomas Simpson (b. 1822 in Crosthwaite, Westmorland) is a master tailor and draper (employing six men and three boys) married to Mary Ann Simpson (b. 1826 in Stone Haven, Scotland). They have five children being Elizabeth R. Simpson (b. 1852 in Manchester, Lancashire), Sarah H. Simpson (b. 1854 in Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland), Agnes Simpson (b. 1857 in Kendal), Hannah Simpson (b. 1859 in Kendal) and Thomas W. Simpson (b. 1861 in Kendal). There is one visitor, Augusta Hall (b. 1801 in London, Middlesex) from whom we assume that Sarah gained her middle name. There is one servant. The 1871 census finds the family living at 33 Highgate, Kendal, Westmorland. Thomas Simpson is a tailor and draper married to Mary Ann Simpson. They have seven children being Elizabeth R. Simpson, Sarah H. Simpson, Agnes Simpson, Hannah Simpson, Thomas W. Simpson, Mary Ann Simpson (b. 1864 in Kendal) and Lucy Simpson (b. 1865 in Kendal). They have one servant. The 1881 census finds the family living at 35 Highgate, Kendal, Westmorland. Thomas Simpson is a tailor and draper (employing nine men and three boys) married to Mary Ann Simpson. They have seven children being Elizabeth Robinson Simpson (now a teacher), Sarah Hall Robinson (no occupation shown), Agnes Robinson (no occupation shown), Hannah Simpson (now a teacher), Thomas William Simpson (now a tailor), Mary Ann Simpson and Lucy Simpson. The 1891 census finds Sarah living at 56 Hill Street, Stapenhall, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire. This is the home of her future husband, Edward Shotton (b. 1845 in Stockton on Tees, Co. Durham, d. 1st October 1927) who is a grocer and baker. Edward is shown as married but his wife is not there. Sarah is a domestic servant. Also there is Edward's son, Edward J. Shotton (b. 1874 in Stapenhall, d. 1st March 1931) who is a baker. There is one other servant. Sarah married Edward Shotton in the third quarter 1893 in the Burton registration district. The 1901 census finds the family living at 56 Hill Street, Stapenhall, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire. Edward Shotton is a grocer married to Sarah H. Shotton. There is one servant. The 1911 census finds the family living at 56 Hill Street, Stapenhall, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire. Edward Shotton is a grocer who has been married to Sarah Hall Shotton for 19 years. They have no children and there is one servant. Sarah was engaged in April 1915 by the British Red Cross Society ( Staffs) as a Sunday kitchen helper in the V.A.D. Red Cross Hospital, Burton-on-Trent. She gave her address as Hill Street, Stapenhall, Burton-on-Trent. Her death was registered in the third quarter 1916 in the Burton registration district. She was aged 62. She was buried on the 5th September 1916. Her headstone reads :-  "In loving memory of Sarah Hall Shotton, wife of Edward Shotton, who fell asleep August 31st 1916, aged 64 years. Peace Perfect Peace. Also of Edward Shotton who died Oct. 1st 1927, aged 84 years. At Rest. Also of Edward, son of the above, died March 1st 1931, aged 57 years. Also Eliza Jane Shotton who died August 19th 1947. Aged 79 years".

Hi Jim,

Crikey, many thanks, brilliant research.

Only for my own amusement, not using it anywhere else.

Just a quick note, it's Stapenhill, not Stapenhall the latter being used in the bit I found online. Stapenhill is walking distance from my house.

I know Hill Street very well.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme, thank you for the correction. In my manuscript I have now changed Stapenhall to Stapenhill but I won't amend the above. I must have got the former from somewhere - possibly misreading an early census.