Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli tour and accomadation

gympiebrowns

G'day one and all, my son and I are due into Turkey on the 12th of September I have been trolling through all the different tours to Anzac Cove and am totally confused, can someone please put me out of my misery and recommend a decent cost efficient tour, also accommodation in Istanbul, many thanks 😊

• Admin

http://www.hotelcrowdedhouse.com/
A Friend stayed here 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g670031-Activities-c42-Gallipoli_Canakkale_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

I cannot recommend either as I did a self drive tour from Istanbul to Gallipoli many years ago. 

I went to Gallipoli a year ago during the summer and am very jealous that you get to go.  The site is absolutely amazing for its history and is very beautiful as well.

If you are looking for a stay at Gallipoli I would recommend Hotel Kum (right on the water and refreshing after a hot day) or the Gallipoli Houses.  The Gallipoli houses is more in line with an AirBnB for amenities but you are right in the middle of the battlefield and the setting is beautiful.  Canakkale also has a lot of accommodations but you are across the water from the battlefield.

There are plenty of great places to stay in Istanbul, and if you ware looking for a one day tour from Istanbul there are many options that your hotel can book for you.  I stayed in the old town when I was there, but if I had to do it again I would stay on the Galata side.  Depending on your budget there are some very nice hotels over there. 

Regarding the tour:  I did it self-guided but spent 5 days on the battlefield and still felt like I had more to see.  My parents did a one day tour out of Istanbul and were very happy with their experience.  So a lot depends on your interest, knowledge and passion.

If I had the money I would do one of the Peter Hart tours...

Best,

Simon