Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card/Index

TBee

Hi All. I am in search of my Grandfathers medal card, I believe was awarded two medals but not 100% sure.

Horace Fincham RFC Service number 85877. His service record does not show much detail, when searching i found there was a variation on the spelling of Fincham.

Can anyone help please.

Can't find any MIC or roll, but this could suggest he didn't go overseas? Service number differs as 179728

Ancestry.co.uk - UK, British Army World War I Pension Records 1914-1920

image.png.cbf0136f907fd0469c53070eb1729688.png

image.png.c39eb95b44ec7e7a346c60e77b1cdb06.png

The one I found must be a different one.

Oooops. How do you spell dislexcea?:o

Fold 3 has his card, shows he was in the Army and joined the RFC 25.6.17 to RAF 1.4.18

56 sqd as a 2AM 

then to 57 sqd via 205 sqd

discharged 30.4.1920

dob 1880

married 3.4.1909

Hi

As his War & Victory Medals were issued by the Air Ministry he will not have a Medal Index Card just the note on the reverse of his Air79 as shown by Russ. If he had been entitled to a 1914 or 1914/15 Star then there would have been a Medal Index Card just for the Star. 

Steve

Thanks all.

Russ T, yes i have his short service record and kinda thought the details on his awards were enough, but just wanted to ch eck.

Steve that answers my question and i now understand. Thank you kindly.

On 05/09/2022 at 19:59, chaz said:

Fold 3 has his card, shows he was in the Army and joined the RFC 25.6.17 to RAF 1.4.18

56 sqd as a 2AM 

then to 57 sqd via 205 sqd

discharged 30.4.1920

dob 1880

married 3.4.1909

Chaz, I have been trying to work out the service record of which i only have two pages, page reads " Current Engagements in  H M Forces, ARMY", the other of which is provided above by Russ.

"Fold 3" is this a separate entry or part of his service record, as i was unaware of him joining the Army. Would there be an Army service record and service number ?

Thank you.

Edited by TBee

as the RFC was or is known as the junior service, being founded in the 1910's originally the RNAS, the new service needed recruits from somewhere. the call went out and was answered by Royal Navy and Army personnel with the possible required skills, be it wood workers or potential pilots. 

these new recruits were initially RFC Royal Flying Corps, later 1st April 1918 to become the RAF , the Royal Air Force.

So, initially he may have had a Army or Navy service number prior to the RAF one.

Fold3 is part of Ancestry that has to be paid for, they hold some service records such as pension and RAF that Ancestry does not.

Would best try to check if the Army has a service record for him at a confirmed address the same as one you know or can find from the 1911 census.

not saying he was Army, but a possibility.

In short..

do you have an address around 1901 or 1911 for him or his family?

Horace's record says he was a carpenter, and his contact name and address was 

Mrs Fincham, North Acre Carton Attleboro, Norfolk,   his wife.

He was married 3.4.1909  at Old Buckenham.

Violet Alexandra Maria Wright, age 23 , Horace was 31.

1911 census has them living at the   RFC form address with Violet and Percy Horace age 1

Hi

Where it states Army on his Air79 as this is the same date (25th June 1917) as he joined the Royal Flying Corps that is his only Army Number and it remained the same when the RFC merged with the RNAS on 1st April 1918 to form the RAF.  (The RFC was Army)

Steve

Edited by hmsk212

On 07/09/2022 at 15:09, chaz said:

as the RFC was or is known as the junior service, being founded in the 1910's originally the RNAS, the new service needed recruits from somewhere. the call went out and was answered by Royal Navy and Army personnel with the possible required skills, be it wood workers or potential pilots. 

these new recruits were initially RFC Royal Flying Corps, later 1st April 1918 to become the RAF , the Royal Air Force.

So, initially he may have had a Army or Navy service number prior to the RAF one.

Fold3 is part of Ancestry that has to be paid for, they hold some service records such as pension and RAF that Ancestry does not.

Would best try to check if the Army has a service record for him at a confirmed address the same as one you know or can find from the 1911 census.

not saying he was Army, but a possibility.

In short..

do you have an address around 1901 or 1911 for him or his family?

Thanks for the details Chaz, Makes sense as his trade was a Carpenter, which would have come in very useful. My grandfather obtained propeller blades from Major James McCudden's crashed aircraft, where he made two photograph frames from the tips, and a biscuit barrel I can remember these in our house when i was young..

On 07/09/2022 at 15:23, hmsk212 said:

Hi

Where it states Army on his Air79 as this is the same date (25th June 1917) as he joined the Royal Flying Corps that is his only Army Number and it remained the same when the RFC merged with the RNAS on 1st April 1918 to form the RAF.  (The RFC was Army)

Steve

Thank you Steve.