Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sinking of SS Eskmere 13 October 1917 by UC-75

Ferguson73uk

Hello All.

In my local cemetery in Barry I have discovered the unmarked grave of one of the casualties of this sinking and have applied to the CWGC for a headstone. Hopefully, they'll agree. I am looking for a photograph of the SS Eskmere and two pieces of information to complete the story: what was the name of the trawler that picked up the eight survivors the following morning, 14 October, and was the ship sunk by torpedo or deck gun fire?

Any help gratefully accepted!

Jonathan

Edited by Ferguson73uk

Hi Johnathan,

Cannot help with the trawler involved in picking up the survivors. However Lloyds List states the following:-

Bromport Steamship Company, 1916, North of Ireland Shipbuilding Company, 2,293 tons, 287.2 x 40.6 x 22.8: 240 bhp, 9 knots, Triple Expansion Engines

The steamship Eskmere was torpedoed and sunk by a German Submarine 15 miles W.N.W. of South Stack off Anglesey, on October 11th, 1917 while employed as an Admiralty Collier. The Captain and 19 of his crew were killed.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

The German Official History records it was sunk on the morning of the 13th but doesn‘t mention whether by torpedo or gunfire. 
Sunk at point 129 on the attached map

Charlie

84393CE8-CD04-4EBA-B776-5C13221FD604.jpeg

Hi Jonathan,

it was a torpedo, launched in a surface attack at 1:25 a.m. from tube No. III (stern tube) at a range of 400 metres, depth setting 3 metres. The stern section was blown off, the ship went down rapidly.

Best wishes,

Simon

The National Archives will hold the answer to the name of the trawler. The Auxiliary Patrol Weekly Reports for 1917 are what you want.  As the Eskmere was sunk more or less on the dividing line between two Auxiliary Patrol areas, namely Kingstown and Holyhead, you'll need to look at records for both. They are held under references ADM137/521 (Kingstown) and ADM137/942 (Holyhead). In addition there are two more references which will be of interest, namely ADM137/1362 (Irish Sea; German Submarines), and ADM137/4004 (Enemy Submarines; Particulars of Attacks on Merchant Vessels in Home Waters) both of which cover the date of loss of the Eskmere.  As for an image of the ship - this may be a daunting task as she was only a year old when lost. You'll need to direct your enquiries to Northern Ireland, where the ship was built. Her builders were the North Ireland Shipbuilding Company, Londonderry.  Try the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland.

Dave W 

Thanks for this information. Dave W I will order copies from the NA as suggested. 

David O. I have messaged Martyn.

Regards,

Jonathan

Edited by Ferguson73uk

Per ADM137/4002 of the “Enemy Submarines; Particulars of Attacks on Merchant Vessels in Home Waters” series of files, two lifeboats were put out but at least one was overturned. (The wording is extremely unclear.) In any case, one group (boat) of survivors was rescued by the patrol vessel Eglice, the other by the steamer South Stack.

Many thanks, Michael! Another avenue to explore. 

Update: just found both vessels.

Jonathan

Edited by Ferguson73uk

• 8 months later...

Hi all, my great grandfather was First Mate on Eskmere, does anyone have any additional information to share re it please? I am trying to find more information on him :) 

Are you seeking information on the S.S Eskmere or your Great Grandfather ?

If the latter a name would of course help and any other details you have on him 

and welcome to the forum 

Ray

Both really if anyone can help. His name was James Harrison. We don't know if his body was recovered, there is a grave in Liverpool with his name on but we don't know if he is in there. 

Thanks for the warm welcome 😊

2 hours ago, cat c said:

Hi all, my great grandfather was First Mate on Eskmere, does anyone have any additional information to share re it please? I am trying to find more information on him :)

1 hour ago, cat c said:

His name was James Harrison. We don't know if his body was recovered, there is a grave in Liverpool with his name on but we don't know if he is in there. 

Cat,

Another warm welcome to GWF.

CWGC have https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2887690/james-harrison

FIRST MATE JAMES HARRISON

Regiment & Unit/Ship: Mercantile Marine S.S. "Eskmere" (Liverpool)
Date of Death: Died 13 October 1917 Age 48 years old
Buried or commemorated at: TOWER HILL MEMORIALUnited Kingdom
Additional Info: Son of Joseph and Elizabeth Harrison; husband of Mary Louise Harrison, of 15, Westdale Rd., Wavertree, Lancs. Born at Liverpool.

The Tower Hill Memorial typically suggests no known grave [on land] but CWGC have been known to not know of such and would welcome an update if it is appropriate

Possibly worth looking at local newspapers [British Newspaper Archive and Find My Past may possibly provide access] to see if anything mentioned there - like a funeral report perhaps [we can but hope!!]

= It may be helpful to see a photo of the grave headstone and its inscription(s) - so if there is one/you have one please post if you can and if you have the burial plot number that may perhaps help too.

I tried looking for a Mercantile Marine pension record at WFA/Fold3 but found nothing [?] - thus wondering if anyone was eligible or claimed?? [Widow, children under 16, dependant parent(s) or sibling??]

Any other info on his professional details/personal circumstances may help.

Wishing you good luck.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

On 04/09/2022 at 19:58, Ferguson73uk said:

In my local cemetery in Barry I have discovered the unmarked grave of one of the casualties of this sinking and have applied to the CWGC for a headstone. Hopefully, they'll agree.

Always interested about such.  Any progress to report?

Presumably you have a name that you could please share.

M

Hello M.

It's Chief Steward William Maxwell. I have submitted a file to the CWGC but understand it could be a long wait.

Jonathan

23 minutes ago, Ferguson73uk said:

Chief Steward William Maxwell

Quite likely [probable?] that you have seen his/his widow's pension card, but just in case not:

image.png.83c1052343168d3ed4c1b0e6d6d7837d.png

Image thanks to WFA

23 minutes ago, Ferguson73uk said:

I have submitted a file to the CWGC but understand it could be a long wait.

Been there and got a teeshirt or few for new commemorations and headstones take even longer [and again in the queue] - but really worth it if you succeeed = Wishing you good luck.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

21 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Cat,

CWGC have https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2887690/james-harrison

Additional Info: Son of Joseph and Elizabeth Harrison; husband of Mary Louise Harrison, of 15, Westdale Rd., Wavertree, Lancs. Born at Liverpool.

The Tower Hill Memorial typically suggests no known grave [on land] but CWGC have been known to not know of such and would welcome an update if it is appropriate

Possibly worth looking at local newspapers [British Newspaper Archive and Find My Past may possibly provide access] to see if anything mentioned there - like a funeral report perhaps [we can but hope!!]

= It may be helpful to see a photo of the grave headstone and its inscription(s) - so if there is one/you have one please post if you can and if you have the burial plot number that may perhaps help too.

I tried looking for a Mercantile Marine pension record at WFA/Fold3 but found nothing [?] - thus wondering if anyone was eligible or claimed?? [Widow, children under 16, dependant parent(s) or sibling??]

Wishing you good luck.

M

Thanks so much. I don't know if anyone would have claimed it? My mother has a photograph of the headstone I will ask her for it. I have also seen it some years ago the other names on the headstone are his wife and mother in law I believe. Mary Louise Harrison and Mary Louise Smith née Hawkyard. I will dig about in the newspaper archives. Thanks so much for your help! 

On 27/05/2023 at 19:01, Matlock1418 said:

Cat,

Wishing you good luck.

M

received_268604332406135.jpeg.6221be47e395cca0f4f1b54a3274abf2.jpeg

I found the above headstone at Toxteth Park Cemetery 

1 hour ago, cat c said:

received_268604332406135.jpeg.6221be47e395cca0f4f1b54a3274abf2.jpeg

I found the above headstone at Toxteth Park Cemetery 

The reference to Capt. James HARRISON may at first glance seem to be incorrect or a 'bigging up' of his rank but it was not unknown for men holding higher qualification(s)s to be occupying a lower role in the Mercantile Marine.  You got a job where you could.

What you perhaps need to do is to see if you can find a reference to his Master's [Capt.] qualification and/or his Mate's.

M

Edited by Matlock1418