Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silent Cities by Leger Holidays

Cheshire22

Just returned from doing ‘Silent Cities’ by Leger Holidays.  A great tour looking at the history of the  IWGC/CWGC.  There were 2 things I did pick up on, there is no love between the CWGC and the JCCC ‘War Detectives’, also the independent researchers who submit cases for names to be added to the memorials to the missing and who  also looking at the unknown graves.  I got the impression that the CWGC would not rather to receive this extra work load. 

more over, many passengers moan, there were two many cemerties were visited and also there to much focus of the horticulture side of the silent cities.  

I must have almost met you at Thiepval, since I stopped to chat with Paul Reed….

Bruce

• Admin
4 hours ago, Cheshire22 said:

Just returned from doing ‘Silent Cities’ by Leger Holidays.  A great tour looking at the history of the  IWGC/CWGC.  

more over, many passengers moan, there were two many cemerties were visited and also there to much focus of the horticulture side of the silent cities.  

Makes you wonder why people signed up for what was essentially, a tour about cemeteries! 

2 hours ago, bruce said:

I must have almost met you at Thiepval, since I stopped to chat with Paul Reed….

Bruce

Bruce, 

I was on the coach which had Peter Williams as the guide.  

35 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Makes you wonder why people signed up for what was essentially, a tour about cemeteries! 

Michelle

thats what got me thinking as well, why book on a tour which is basically visiting cemeteries which are the only places the horticulture side of the tour can be based from.  

what I think it was, that only on the Tuesday that in the afternoon when it was hot 🥵 and sunny 🌞 in the afternoon, when we had to walk to a cemetery, that the moaners started too come out.  

Now, I’m thinking about booking the War Graves Pilgrimage tour next year.  Which is basically just visiting cemeteries for relatives to visit family members.   It will be interesting too go on that tour and see what the attitude of the fellow passengers is, as I don’t know which cemeteries they will be visiting 

I don’t know if they will have a idea of what cemeteries to visit, until when passengers start too book and request to visit certain cemeteries 

• Admin

It’s so inconvenient that one has to walk to a cemetery :whistle: Was that Cuckoo Passage? 

12 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

It’s so inconvenient that one has to walk to a cemetery :whistle: Was that Cuckoo Passage? 

Yep, cuckoo passage.  There was an idea to walk from Cherisy Road cemetery to cuckoo passage but visited cuckoo first, it was only a couple of minutes walk but as they are putting up wind turbines in the area, the tracks had tarmac 

• Admin

When I was there in July, it was impossible to get access to Cuckoo Passage and Rookery cemeteries, owing to the wind turbines construction traffic. The whole area is changing so much. 

Hi Cheshire22

You mentioned in your thread that there were 2 things that you picked up on, that there was no love lost between the CWGC and the JCCC War detectives, and also the independent researchers who submit cases for names to be added to the memorials to the missing and also looking at unknown graves and you got the impression that the CWGC would rather not receive this extra workload. Who gave you that impression. I would really like to know. I know that there were a lot of changes at the CWGC and that several long time service people left who were very helpful to me over the years.

I look forward to your reply

Regards

Andy    

Peter Williams was the guide on my first trip to the battlefields back in 2004. His knowledge and enthusiasm set me on my own journey of WW1 history which continues to this day, if he reads this, thank you 👍👍

On 04/09/2022 at 14:16, Cheshire22 said:

Just returned from doing ‘Silent Cities’ by Leger Holidays.  A great tour looking at the history of the  IWGC/CWGC.  There were 2 things I did pick up on, there is no love between the CWGC and the JCCC ‘War Detectives’, also the independent researchers who submit cases for names to be added to the memorials to the missing and who  also looking at the unknown graves.  I got the impression that the CWGC would not rather to receive this extra work load. 

Hi @Cheshire22

Is it possible that you might answer Andrew Pugh's query as to where this opinion came from please.

Thank you for your assistance

Kind regards

John

7 hours ago, Frajohn said:

Hi @Cheshire22

Is it possible that you might answer Andrew Pugh's query as to where this opinion came from please.

Thank you for your assistance

Kind regards

John

John

i have do so, by PM