Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More than one memorial

Looking for answers

Hi is it quite common for someone to be on more than one. My great grandfather is on his home towns and in Wales. It appears he had a deferment not allowing to join the English army so moved the family to Wales so that he could go to war hence being on both. I suppose the question is did a lot of men do this ?

• Admin

Welcome to the forum.
Yes, my grans cousin is on two memorials in the Uk, one in Holyport, (where his parents family came from)  and one in Bray and at least two in his hometown in Australia. My husbands great uncle is named on Castle Combe, where he was born, and Stow on the Wold, where he was living when he enlisted. 

I seem to remember in the very dim and distant past that a member of the Dorset Regiment was on I believe 13 different memorials including some abroad. 

Malcolm 

Each memorial had it's own committee. They chose whose name should be remembered on the memorial from local knowledge and names put forward normally by relatives. Being not organised on a central basis a name could appear on any number of memorials.

The criteria used to decide on the people to be commemorated on war memorials varied from local committee to local committee. Also the method used to obatin names varied. Many men I have researched appear on more than one memorial. In some cases the memorials are quite near to each other in others they are quite a long way apart. In one example a man appears on the memorial where he was born, grew up and his family were living and also on the memorial of the place a long way away where he had been living and working.

(I believe that some members of "The Souls" (Do I mean descendants?) appear on the war memorials of the more than one of the war memorials of the parishes which contained the country houses they used to visit?)