Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pillbox destruction

Philippe Gorczynski

The battlefields are in danger. After the proliferation of the Wind turbines farms which doesnt seems to be stopped despite our effort (3 new windturbine will be established around Flesquieres extra to the 13 already in place!!!!) now  some farmers are clearing the old battlefields from their concrete ww1 relics.

For those who have a special interest on that matter, after a destruction few days ago of a bunker near Villers Guislain, yesterday and today, 2 others german concrete bunkers were demolished.

One was localised between the civilian cemetery and one near the famous Stollenweg (well know by our friend John Taylor!) who drive towards the Monument of the Nations. 

There were others on the black list but I have called the farmer who has made a stand in his sad project!

Philippe

Philippe, I agree it is very sad to see these vestiges disappearing. Over the years I have seen many destroyed in both France and Belgium. Some go for obvious modern day needs, such as road industrial and housing works, but some seem unnecessary. One can sometimes appreciate the farmers views if it affects their livelihood, and it does cost them to remove large concrete structures. At least some farmers and landowners are happy to keep them, such as the farmer at Bon Avis, who said they are histoire, and the factory developer at Grevillers who built the access road around the old British bunker. I do think local government could be more active in this.

Without turning this into an advert, the continual destruction prompted me to record all the existing British bunkers (Armageddon's Walls: British Pill Boxes 1914-1918) but even since then a number have gone.

The destruction is continuous, and a few may be permanently protected,but it is sad.

At least Deborah is safe for the future.

Peter

Hi Tony, Hi Peter,

At the moment, the pillboxes are not recorded into the official land register which make free any French farmer/owwner to get rid of them without any administrative rules to respect. Surprisingly when a ruins has to be destroyed, the owner need to get a "permis de démolition" which is delivered by the mairie or townhall.

It is urgent to react as it was done in Belgium. The first step will be record all of those existing and visible. Then, to force the owners to inform the local authorities before any destruction work. Few years ago, Pierre Capelle, has done an amazing job to register most of the surviving bunkers. This document is really precious and it has help studients Lille 3 university to pursue the mission.

The plan was to register some of them to  the "Site and Landscape of the WW1" to the Unesco heritage. However, this notion has made some people afraid and the matter was changed into : Funeral and Memorial sites of the WW1 which was for my feeling a useless protection. Who could imagine to permit  the destruction of aWW1 cemetery or Memorial?! 

However, the Cambrai Memorial at Louverval and the German Military cemetery route de Solesmes in Cambrai were listed into the Unesco project. It has not stopped the wind turbines to surround the Cambrai Memorial and the Mayor of Doignies (Louverval) would love more of these machines.

It 's happen that few pillboxes are disturbing (lightly) some farmers' work but it is now 100 years that there are part of the countryside and more importantly there are part of the historical heritage of our region.  They deserve an official protection. We will work on this

Philippe

This is terrible news Philippe - is this the bunker that's been demolished?

John

DSC_3090.JPG

No, John, For now, it is the one on the other side (left) of the track some more yards towards the Monument of the Nations and the main road.

On the 2021 satelitte phto it is still possible to see the trace of the old trench!!!! (black arrows)

Also, not far from the position where this action  took place was an old military cemetery named "The 51st Highland British cemetery".  In summer time some roses continue to blow.

Philippe

Flesquieres Pill-Box 1917-2021.pdf