Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Killed reading a letter?

Skipman

A soldier I'm researching was posted to his brigade light trench mortar battery the day before he was killed in action. The night he was killed there was a raid in which the some of the light TMB were in action. A newspaper report soon after his death mentions that his TMB officer says he was sitting in a trench reading a letter when he was killed by a shell. Death was instantaneous. He was well liked by the officers and men etc etc. Does the reading a letter etc ring true, or do you reckon the officer is trying to cushion the blow?

Mike

1 hour ago, Skipman said:

A soldier I'm researching was posted to his brigade light trench mortar battery the day before he was killed in action. The night he was killed there was a raid in which the some of the light TMB were in action. A newspaper report soon after his death mentions that his TMB officer says he was sitting in a trench reading a letter when he was killed by a shell. Death was instantaneous. He was well liked by the officers and men etc etc. Does the reading a letter etc ring true, or do you reckon the officer is trying to cushion the blow?

Mike

Difficult to say of course Mike and I think it could be either one.  It might be that the officer who wrote it had a string of such comforting endings, but he would soon come unstuck if other families compared notes, so I think that’s unlikely and if he said something to comfort one fellow’s family then why not another.  With that in mind then, on balance I’d say that it was likely true and so singularly remarkable that he chose to mention it, knowing that it would probably provide some small crumb of comfort to the recipient. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

33 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Thinks FROGSMILE As you say, it has that ring of truth truth to it.

Mike

“Stranger things happen at sea” and marginally better than being on the latrine and receiving a direct hit (I bet that wouldn’t have been mentioned…).

212355B9-8145-49D7-823F-299C1C3AF0C1.jpeg

031D27A7-BD63-46F0-8770-EF3795AE06A9.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

31 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Indeed but it no doubt happened.

Mike

Exactly, how could it not.   💩happens!

Edited by FROGSMILE