Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cameron Highlanders 1st btn.1914-Pte Patrick Ridge S/11910 Photo wanted soldier or battalion

RIDGE

Looking for photo please of Grandad Pte Patrick Ridge S/11910 Queens Own Cameron Highlanders, joined 5/9/1914, died of wounds 28/1/1915. Found entry Glasgow Evening Times with poem by Patrick but sadly no photo. Would love photo of him or his battalion taken 1914 before going to France. Would Edinburgh newspaper have entry too or just soldier's hometown? Many thanks, Jim. 

Pte.Patrick Ridge poem Queens Own Cameron Highlanders.jpg

PATRICK RIDGE.jpg

Edited by RIDGE

• RIDGE changed the title to Cameron Highlanders 1st btn.1914-Pte Patrick Ridge S/11910 Photo wanted soldier or battalion
  • Admin

I will be visiting Chocques later this month should you wish me to get you a photo. 

Hello Michelle, thank you for the welcome & the speedy help. The CWGC have already kindly sent me a copy of Grandad's war grave at Chocques I. A. 7 but I did wonder who was buried next to him. Was it a fellow Cameron Highlander or another regimental soldier killed on 25/1/1915 or the subsequent days. I did ask CWGC at the time but have not had a reply as yet. 

• Admin

You don’t need to wait for them. Go to his entry on the website, and click on his  documents. This will show you his burial return so you will see who he is buried next to. As it’s a hospital cemetery, and the burials are more or less chronological, it’s whether another CH from that action was taken to Chocques or another of the hospital centres. 
Edit to add image from CWGC (wasn’t working just now)

AC0CC8CB-8671-4880-9D79-187614AABB33.png

Great tip Michelle and how quick were you in getting the info I wanted. Been trying for ages on CWGC website. Think system was down then it finally worked I will now take my time learning about the various soldiers laid next to Patrick. So young, so sad, RIP Michelle, your help is very much appreciated. Thank you for all you do in helping people like me learn about our loved ones and those that gave their lives for us. Regards Jim x

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

@RIDGE said hello for you earlier 

A70EAB1F-8707-42C9-81E7-4ECEAD21843C.jpeg

130BE028-AD7F-4DC2-85E8-CCBD76078E10.jpeg

Thank you Michelle. So thoughtful of you. Can't wait to show my Dad the photo as it's his grandfather. Love that someone has put on Patrick's grave a cross with a poppy on it too. Lovely. 

• Admin

Sorry the photos aren’t better but the stones in Chocques are quite worn. I put the poppy there on your behalf. 

• Admin

You are very welcome.