Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AIX-NOULETTE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

battle of loos

Good evening,

I am looking for information on which ambulances and CCS have parked in Aix Noulette.
in the history of the AIX-NOULETTE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, it mentions only the 1st and 2nd Division dedicated to 1916.

https://www.cwgc.org/visit-us/find-cemeteries-memorials/cemetery-details/25500/aix-noulette-communal-cemetery-extension/

thanking you in advance for your help.

Kind regards

michel

I attempted to make contact with the La Malterie research group via Aurélie a few weeks ago. I sent some information but had no further contact.

The quick answer is quite a few field ambulances ran the dressing station at La Malterie.

I followed the background until the Canadians took over.

I don't have things to hand but the CWGC listing is not correct. I'm fairly sure I found nothing for the 1st Division, at least for 1916.

It's not an easy task to just produce a list. The information I gleaned took most of a week and only covers a few months.

I'll have a look at it again tomorrow.

I found that the connection between La Malterie dressing station and the three cemeteries it made use of is another complex issue.

TEW

good evening,

thank's for your answer.

regards

michel

Michel,

Can I ask if you are part of the historical group involved with the Malterie in Aix-Noulette or simply helping them?

I realised while I was looking for information it's quite a difficult task to explain everything with the language barrier and without knowing if anyone in the group understands the structure of the British medical services and exactly what makes up a Field Ambulance. Secondly, the information available for The Malterie covers much more than just which field ambulance was there. I don't know how much detail the group wants but to me it all seems a little out of context to just list the Field Ambulances when there is so much more.

There are unit diaries available from The National Archives for the medical services of each division and each field ambulance.

Anyway,

I've checked what I did before and despite what the CWGC say there is no mention of the 1st Division being involved at Aix-Noulette.

The Dressing Station was held by the 18th French Division until the British took over that part of the front line.

1/3/1916. 100th Field Ambulance of 2nd Division.
21/3/1916. 69th Field Ambulance of 23rd Division.
1/4/1916. C Section of 69th Field Ambulance still present at Aix-Noulette.

Unfortunately the 23rd Division diary is missing 1/3/16-10/4/16 and the ambulance diaries have little for this period.

During this time there are men from the 8th Division attached to the 23rd Division which is why the Communal Cemetery Extension and the Bois-De-Noulette British Cemetery have 8th Division men buried there.

17/4/1916. 100th Field Ambulance of 2nd Division.
10/5/1916. 70th Field Ambulance of 23rd Division.
12/6/1916. B Section 6th London Field Ambulance of 47th Division.
17/7/1916. 1st Royal Naval Field Ambulance of the Royal Naval (63rd) Division.
18/9/1916. 48th Field Ambulance of 37th Division.
15/10/1916 Handed over to 2nd Canadian Division.

Each of the above have diaries with much more detail. There are some maps that show the locations of the forward aid posts (RAPS) and the route of evacuation to Aix-Noulette. There are named officers at the Malterie and descriptions of shelling there.

I extracted all the diary entries up to early June 1916 and could send you the full details by PM, I need to check through it again so it may be a few days.

Has anyone seen this film of the railway  https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060022728

TEW

good morning,

currently, I help them in research.
why not be part of it afterwards.
we have already had a 1st contact.
on occasion, I gave them small materials from the field.
we are in the process of seeing in order to make part of my collection available to the future museum.

for technical terms or other appellations, no worries for me.

a big thank you for the video.

Kind regards

michel