Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

d battery

theraven

Raven,

Ive run your number through MIC index, SDGW etc and there really is no clues to be found. It certainly does not appear as a RA block allocation number as Dick has indicated.

Roop

hello

slowly getting my head around these numbers lark. i was looking at some photos

and one of them shows a rfa inignia on the shoulder were as the others show rha

could this mean that he started with one and then moved to the other and was this normal practice , i have no idea which of the photos was taken first rfa or rha

raven

Raven,

Now that is a better clue. Some RHA batteries became part of the RFA and thus there would be D batteries in many of these.

If you look at Chris's LLT site you will find many of these batteries listed.

Roop

roop

thanks had a look at the site ive been there before but only looked at the rha section ,looking at rfa all these d batterys came from regular army. so maybe my gf was regular afterall have to keep digging .

im sorry now that i never asked my gf about the war before he died in 1979 aged 83.i was to interested in music girls and beer it is only in the last few years that i

became hooked after a visit to the menin gates.

will keep you posted on what i find out , im so glad that their are so many people with a wealth of experiance who are willing to help a total beginer like me

raven

im so glad that their are so many people with a wealth of experiance who are willing to help a total beginer like me

I think the only thing that can be conveyed is to keep you on track and encourage you to be critical of the information you have. Never assume anything and try and check everything . The forum really acts as a guide, ultimately you have to prove the facts for yourself.

We still have not resolved his 6 digit number???

Given Dick's info regarding the 300000 number group being TF, i think you need to be looking at New Army batteries for this number to stand any chance of being meaningful.

Roop

roop

im certainley taking all this in and will pursue this quest to its conclusion

can you tell me in which year the new army started to mobilse and what is the difference between them and tf

raven

Right,

2597** number groups cover mainly Labour Corps and Royal Engineer outfits which have duplicate numbers. 259707 occurs once on the MIC's to the Labour corp , no record of this number for the RE. Only one record has been found of this number group for RA and his name is Griffiths:

Royal Field Artillery 259439

It is also a number group used by RE Waterways and Railways.

Your man does not exist under that number or that name in the MIC index.

Roop

roop

had a look on the archives when i type in my gf number 259707 it comes up with a mic for earnest a pope private in labour corps cat wo 372/16 ?

raven

• 19 years later...
On 30/03/2005 at 04:53, rflory said:

theraven wrote:

I cannot find him on the 1914 Star medal roll for 3 Brigade, RHA and I have not been able to find a Medal Index Card for a man by that name nor for his listed service number. It would appear that he never went overseas and therefore was not awarded a medal. Regards. Dick

Does the 1914 Star medal roll for 3 Brigade RHA note which batteries the recipients served in or just '3 Brigade' like the MICs ?

No.

while this may not  still be a live issue after 19 years, RA Attestations confirms that John lewis Griffiths 259707 [later 1035432] from Holyhead  re-? enlisted 6/2/19, aged 22, and was a signaller [as some on photo are] .. the photo also shows men are RHA as wearing RHA ball buttons, so it seems likely this is is indeed D Bty RHA, as the sign indicates.. probably 1919 - he was discharged 6 June 1922; the record suggests he had  previous 3 years 82 days service  [as 259707] .